The Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) is a customer-oriented organization located in downtown Ottawa. The organization’s mandate is to review and resolve consumer and small business telecom and TV complaints after interaction between the complainant and the service provider has failed to produce a satisfactory outcome.
We are seeking a Law Intern who will assist the Legal Counsel in supporting the day-to-day operations of the CCTS.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting legal, policy and general research
- Preparing legal memoranda on a variety of subject matters, including employment law, privacy, occupational health and safety, and accessibility
- Implementing legal research into practice by drafting policies and procedures
- Assisting with other duties that may be assigned from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Currently enrolled in second- or third- year of a Juris Doctor common law program
- Writing sample
- Unofficial law school transcript
- Demonstrated experience in conducting legal research
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTESResults Focus (Service Delivery)
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities within deadlines without sacrificing quality of work
- Strong ability to organize and plan own work
Quality and Risk Orientation
- Strong ability to work to a high degree of accuracy
- Strong ability to work with highest degree of ethics and integrity
- Strong ability to listen and act in an unbiased, diplomatic and professional manner
Problem Solving and Process Improvement
- Good ability to analyze information and draw relevant conclusions
- Good ability to troubleshoot a variety of technical issues
- Strong ability to use good judgement in decision making
- Good ability to identify issues and concerns that impact the team’s effectiveness and take action
- Strong ability to solve problems and work independently, but also take initiative to involve others when appropriate
Stakeholder Relations and Customer Service Focus
- Very strong customer-service orientation
- Strong ability to respond to internal customers promptly and without ambiguity
The CCTS will make every reasonable effort to accommodate prospective candidates under any of the protected grounds of discrimination. Should you need an accommodation, please make the request as soon as possible. If the accommodation is related to a medical or health condition, you may be required to provide confirmation from a medical professional that you require the accommodation. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity. Information received in relation to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcripts and a writing sample. Only candidates who will be selected for testing and an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $19.00 to $23.00 /hour