The Hazelwood Group of Companies is seeking a Chief Financial Officer to join the team in Nanaimo, BC. This unique and interesting role is a great opportunity to become part of a steadily growing Vancouver Island company that has a history of success and an entrepreneurial spirit. (Relocation assistance will be considered for applicants located outside of the Nanaimo, BC area.)
Reporting to, and partnering with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will play a critical role in developing, implementing, and overseeing the financial strategy of The Hazelwood Group. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will provide sound financial advice to business unit leaders, and will supervise and provide guidance to the Finance & Accounting team. The CFO will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the CEO.
Aside from being a finance and accounting expert, our ideal candidate must fit well within our culture - we’re a highly professional group of people that pride ourselves on living our objectives of being curious, humble, and logical every day. You won’t find big egos and aggressive personalities here, and micromanaging is definitely out of the question. We’re looking for someone who is accustomed to handling a variety of situations with confidence and a calm demeanor. Additionally, our ideal candidate is someone who’s interested in and enjoys helping others grow and develop their careers.
- Create, coordinate, and evaluate the financial programs and supporting information systems of the company to include budgeting, tax planning, and conservation of assets.
- Approve and coordinate changes and improvements in automated financial and management information systems for the company.
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial, and federal tax reporting requirements.
- Oversee the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure, and position control documents, department budgets, mass salary updates, ledger, and account maintenance and data entry.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses, and information reports.
- Develop and implement finance, accounting, billing, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Interact with other managers to provide consultative support to planning initiatives through financial and management information analyses, reports, and recommendations.
- Ensure records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards.
- Work with external accounting firm on the preparation of year-end financial statements, audits and necessary follow-up.
- Assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and Hazelwood Finance's long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff.
- University Degree in Finance or Accounting.
- 10 years of experience in a senior-level finance or accounting position.
- CPA designation required.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution.
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Extensive, experience and knowledge in dealing with accounting systems, budgets, internal controls, business planning, and asset management.
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software and spreadsheet programs and applications.
- Very good attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners, and government agencies.
- Experience creating and managing budgets for a large, distributed organization.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite.
- Knowledge of best practices in internal controls
Benefits of Employment – Why work at The Hazelwood Group?
- Comprehensive group benefits plan – Health & Dental premiums 100% employer-paid.
- RRSP matching plan.
- Strong team environment that encourages and supports continuous learning and career advancement.
- Employee & Family Assistance Program.
- Annual financial donations to volunteer organizations directly supported by our employees.
- Supportive and forward-thinking leadership team that values employee input and ideas.
- Friendly and positive work environment.
The Hazelwood Group is a privately owned, Nanaimo based organization comprised of Hazelwood Construction Services, K2 Stone, Steel Container Systems, Momentum Design Build, Baywood Glass, dunk™ pools, Hazelwood Finance, Geobreak, Jewel Holdings, and Brady’s Powder Coating. Our related companies work within the construction, mining, manufacturing, retail, real estate development, and renewable energy sectors.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- senior level accounting and finance: 8 years (preferred)
- CPA designation (preferred)