The City of Winnipeg is a vibrant and dynamic organization with many opportunities!
We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
The Winnipeg Police Service (WPS) is offering an exciting opportunity for those interested in a career within the WPS, as a Police Constable. As the Police Constable's daily duties include interacting with members of the public, the successful candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, social perceptiveness, and listening skills. These requirements are critical in analyzing a situation and determining the appropriate action to take. Proficient organization skills, being physically fit and having the ability to work within a team setting are also necessary attributes to be successful.
As a Winnipeg Police Service Constable you will:
- Promote positive public relations through Community involvement, including crime and drug prevention strategies
- Conduct criminal investigations by gathering evidence, interviewing victims, witnesses and suspects
- Patrol assigned areas and monitor activities to protect people / property
- Enforce Federal, Provincial and Municipal Statutes as required
- Complete crime analysis, identify criminal activity trends and develop solutions / projects in trend areas
- Prepare and provide evidence in court matters
- Other duties as assigned
Your education and qualifications include:
- Grade 12 Diploma; G.E.D. Certificate; or equivalent
*IMPORTANT: Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualification in Canada. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issued by a recognized Canadian assessment service** at application.
- Must meet current Winnipeg Police Service Vision Standards (vision test will be required later in the process)
- Must meet current Winnipeg Police Service Hearing Standards (hearing test will be required later in the process)
- The ability to establish and maintain a positive, respectful, safe and healthy work environment that supports the physical, psychological and social working relationships with members at all levels in a team environment. Must have demonstrated acceptable attendance and job performance relevant to this position
- Strong interpersonal skills including communication (both oral and written)
- Ability to problem solve, using a variety of inter-personal skills including initiative, creativity, organizational and self-directed
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 18 years of age
- Valid Manitoba Class 5 Full Driver’s License at the time of application
- No more than four demerits on your Driver's Abstract as assessed by the Winnipeg Police Service
- Successful completion of the Winnipeg Police Service Physical Abilities Test (PAT)
- Prior to class start date, you must continue to meet the standards required by the Winnipeg Police Service. This check will confirm that you are not the subject of a police investigation nor are you involved in, or suspected to be involved in, any incident that would bring discredit to the professional standards of the Winnipeg Police Service
- Class 4 Full Driver's License - Required before Offer of Employment
- Successful completion of Standard First Aid Certificate - Required before Offer of Employment
- Successful completion of Level C Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certificate - Required before Offer of Employment
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination by the City of Winnipeg Occupational Health Service
- Must meet current Winnipeg Police Service vision and hearing standards
- Must be able to work 10 hour shifts including days, evenings and nights including weekends and holidays, as required
- Ability to meet and maintain the standards of a Winnipeg Police Service security check / background investigation and required Police clearances
- No involvement in any criminal activity within the last two years (including illegal drugs)
- No criminal record for which a Pardon has not been granted
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/.
For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $2,152.48 to $4,304.96 bi-weekly.
IMPORTANT: All fees incurred throughout the process are the responsibility of the applicant.
IMPORTANT: Applicants subject to Security/Criminal Records check.
For information on the Recruitment Process, please visit the Winnipeg Police Service recruiting website.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.
Job Type: Full-time