NexGen Mechanical Solutions is seeking a Shop Technician to join our team in Whitehorse, YT. Ideally the right candidate will have their red seal certificates but apprenticeships will be considered.
You will be responsible for ensuring functionality and reliability of trucks, engines and their mechanical systems. An excellent mechanic must have manual dexterity and great attention to detail, they must be able to work with various machines and tools as well as follow all safety precautions.
Wage is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. For applicants not residing in the Yukon – shift work can be considered and possibly arranged for the right candidate.
- Inspect trucks, engines, transmissions etc. and run diagnostic tests to discover functionality issues
- Conduct repairs aiming for maximum reliability
- Troubleshoot reported problems and resolve them in a timely manner
- Perform thorough maintenance on trucks and related onboard systems
- Provide consultation on correct maintenance and preventative measures to trucks and their operators.
- Undertake other duties as assigned
- Keep and maintain work logs and report on issues
- Maintain in an orderly fashion inventory required for the current job and the work area
- Coordinate with other mechanics / office staff on work flow
- Proven experience as a Technician
- Excellent knowledge of trucks, machines and equipment electrical and other systems and their components.
- Ability to follow established procedures and practices and read instructions
- Strong commitment to all health and safety guidelines
- Very good communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve
- Able to work with or without supervision.
- Very good physical strength and stamina (e.g. lifting ability of 50lbs, working long hours when needed)
- Able to use basic computer programs and diagnostic tools.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2-5 years of related experience
- Red Seal or Registered Apprentice
- Valid driver’s class 5 driver’s license minimum (air brakes, class 3 or 1 is a definite plus.)
- Ability to travel and be away from home for a few days at a time.
NexGen is a privately-owned mechanical service provider that repairs and maintains high-way trucks, trailers, machines, heavy equipment and power generators across the Yukon, North West Territories, British Columbia. At NexGen we pride ourselves on our hard work, “go getter” attitude and our commitment to our customers.
If this sounds like the place for you please submit your resume, cover letter and drivers abstract, only successful applicants will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00 to $38.00 /hour
- equivalent: 1 year (Preferred)