A growing community located in Southern Manitoba, Winkler is the largest city in the Pembina Valley. Winkler has a relaxed community lifestyle, a diverse economic base, and quality residential, educational, and cultural amenities. The City provides a full range of services to our community of approximately 13,500 residents.
Human Resources Manager
The City of Winkler is currently seeking a Human Resources Manager to join their team. In this newly created position, the Human Resources Manager will be responsible to direct and guide the overall function of human resources for the organization. The position will work closely with the City Manager and the Directors to maximize the effectiveness of human resources by linking human resource planning to the organization’s strategic plan.
Responsibilities and functions:
- Determine staffing requirements and oversee the recruitment process;
- Work with management to implement a performance management system, and provide consultative support as required;
- Act as primary contact for employee issues including: advising management on employee and labour relations issues, overseeing or conducting investigations, interpreting policies, providing oversight on disciplinary letters/action, and counseling employees;
- Ensure compliance with legislative requirements;
- Support Directors and supervisors / foremen in identifying learning and development opportunities, resources, and programs to support employees’ development;
- Establish and conduct orientation and training programs;
- Maintain and update job requirements and job descriptions for all positions;
- With support from the Payroll Clerk, coordinate compensation and benefits activities such as, merit increases, tuition reimbursement, and compensation analysis;
- Continue to look for ways to streamline and improve HR processes;
- Participate in and support the Workplace Health & Safety committee.
Qualified candidates will possess the following education, experience and skills:
- Five to ten years, or extensive experience in the delivery of human resources services in a combination of areas such as recruitment and selection, employee/labor relations, and classification and compensation.
- Post-secondary education specializing in human resources; or an equivalent combination of related education, training and experience may be considered. CPHR designation is an asset.
- Extensive experience creating HR processes, practices and policies.
- Effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated initiative with the ability to lead change, gain consensus, and credibility.
- Able to make sound business decisions and evidence based recommendations to senior management.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization, with good presentation skills.
- Demonstrated judgement and discretion when dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent working ability with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
What we have to offer:
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits
Opportunity for professional development
An incredible work environment
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team, you are invited to send a detailed resume and cover letter by August 5, 2020 to the attention of Jody Penner, City Manager.
City of Winkler
185 Main Street
Winkler, MB R6W 1B4
Attention: Jody Penner
Information gathered relative to this position will only be used for candidate selection. We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume; however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The City of Winkler is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company Pension
- Dental Care
- Disability Insurance
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance
- On-site Parking
- Vision Care
- 8 Hour Shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- HR services: 5 years (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)