Reports to: Manager, Family & Community Health
Position Type: Contract, 21 hours/week
Term: Immediately – October 2019
Wages: $19.63 - $23.73 per hour
The Gardener will be responsible for the maintenance and up keep of the Community Harvest Gardens including: Planting of garden beds, weeding, pruning, and maintaining visual tidiness in the gardens, as well as organize volunteers to assist with these tasks. The Gardener will ensure the produce is harvested weekly and delivered to the market.
· Provide direction and support volunteers in the garden;
· Ensure weekly maintenance, ensure the garden is weeded;
· watered and harvested;
· Work with the group to determine what will be planted;
· Ensure produce is delivered to the market weekly;
· Assist the Market facilitator with the weekly set up of the market which includes the setup of tents, table and chairs;;
· Support the on-going development of Community Harvest Market;
· Other duties may be assigned as required;
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- High school education or equivalent
- 2 to 3 years’ experience operating/working with an urban garden
- Extensive experience in urban gardening and farmer’s markets
- Experience with and ties to the Rideau Heights community, preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to work outdoors
- Ability to build rapport and trust
- Knowledge of local food issues
- Ability to work well in a fast paced environment, independently and as a team member, with minimal supervision
- Ability to adapt to changing situations
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
Position Competencies: Communication, Facilitating Groups, Planning & Implementation, Relationship Building, Teamwork
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- French language is an asset
- Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
- Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
- Email to hr(a)kchc.ca citing reference “2019-39-KCHC” in the subject line.
- Applications must be submitted to Human Resources Manager by May 28, 2019.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4
Job Type: Contract