NB: Expected start time: August-September 2021
Provides advanced administrative, clerical or executive assistant support to UBC departments located on Point Grey Campus, Robson Square, or several hospital sites. Employees are hired by UBC Hiring Solutions and are assigned to different UBC departments usually on a full-time term basis to fill various administrative and clerical based positions.
Employees are placed based on availability, qualifications and abilities and our placements can vary from a few days to weeks/months depending on the needs of our clients. We provide our employees with the opportunity to work all over the campus and gaining valuable work experience at UBC. Some placements may involve working remotely.
Please note, we give priority to experienced administrators who are available immediately. Also, we are not recruiting for specific positions, but we are looking for service minded professionals to join our roster.
Reports to UBC Hiring Solutions Manager or designate. Employees are expected to work closely with their onsite client-departmental supervisor.
Although each assignment will differ in the work performed according to classification, the employee is expected to adhere to following standards as related to:
Demonstrated service skills required:
- Provides respectful, tactful, fair and efficient service to a culturally diverse group of clients including: students, faculty, staff, colleagues, affiliates, suppliers and campus visitors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Coordinates and execute complex administrative tasks related to meetings and events bookings, travel arrangements.
- Performs financial duties such as reconciling journal vouchers, and processing expenses, credit card payments, and travel requisitions.
- Interacts with co-workers, clients / customers in a pleasant, friendly manner.
- Listens effectively and empathetically.
- Clarifies and assesses what is being asked.
- Diffuses situations by remaining in emotional control when co-workers, clients / customers / suppliers are anxious, frustrated or angry.
- Responds concisely with grammatical accuracy in writing to email inquiries and correspondence.
- Provides timely service with minimum supervision.
- Works effectively during high volume placements.
- Works co-operatively within a departmental team.
- Is well organized and able to multitask in a fast pace environment.
- Works effectively under pressure.
- Works independently with a high degree of accuracy.
- Enters data efficiently and accurately.
- Enters, edits, and manipulates data in relevant information systems, requiring data manipulation processes of a complex nature.
- Responsible for the maintenance of office supplies, including inventory, ordering and purchasing.
- Any other administrative duties required by the department to meet the operational needs.
- Follows all UBC Hiring Solutions policies as outlined in the orientation material with particular, adherence to procedures as they relate to time sheet submission, reporting sick time and vacation requests.
- Exercises tact, judgement and sensitivity to the departmental environment; conforms and adapts to the established standards of conduct.
- At the outset of each placement, requests the following information from the department:
- Information concerning hours of work and appropriate break times.
- Their policies concerning the personal use of e-mail and internet.
- The departmental reporting structure and procedures as they relate to the placement.
- The department dress code and scent free policy.
- Immediately communicates to UBC Hiring Solutions any concerns that may impede the successful completion of the placement.
- Advises UBC Hiring Solutions of any reason for absence, tardiness or any other reason that would affect their ability to complete the hours as set out by the department.
- Makes every effort to maintain and upgrade their office skills through the resources provided by UBC Hiring Solutions and the University.
Will vary depending on the classification and placement.
Will vary depending on the classification and placement.
Consequence of error/judgement
Failure to provide service that meet these standards affect the integrity of UBC Hiring Solutions and/or the University.
High school graduation supplemented by training in office procedures and practices or a combination of education and related work experience. University undergraduate degree preferred. Minimum of three to four years of recent administrative experience in a professional office environment. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and priorities. Ability to exercise tact, discretion, and judgment required. Shown ability to be flexible, confident and self-motivated. Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines. Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner. Ability to analyze problems, identify key information and issues, and effectively resolve. Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Validated ability to work in a team and collaborate with others. A dedication to improving one’s own awareness, knowledge, and skills related to difference; skills pertaining to handling diversity across identities, perspectives, and behaviours (e.g. communication skills, handling conflict, flexibility and working in ambiguity); behaviours that demonstrate emotional intelligence, sensitivity and, curiosity toward difference.
MORE INFORMATION AND LINK TO APPLY:
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret that we will contact only those applicants who have been shortlisted.
If you have already submitted an application to Hiring Solutions in the past 6 months, please do not apply again.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $16.16-$27.00 per hour
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (required)
- administrative: 3 years (preferred)