Amendment Type: Amendment #1
Amendment Date: 09/26/2023
Reason for Amendement: Please note change to job type and duration
Job ID: 37122
Job Category: Information & Technology
Division & Section: Children's Services, Business & Fin Svcs
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John St Toronto
Job Type & Duration: Full time, 2 Permanent vacancies
Salary: $101,900.00 - $131,222.00, TM1992, Wage Grade 7
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 Hours Per Week
Qualified List will be established to fill permanent OR temporary positions.
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 25-SEP-2023 to 10-OCT-2023
HR Contact: Suba Mohan, Phone # 416-338-2103
Division Contact: Ian Boodhai, Phone # 416-392-4693
This is an opportunity to join one of the most innovative and collaborative teams in the City of Toronto, the Digital Transformation team in Toronto Children's Services.
We provide strategic leadership in digital client services and process transformation for the Children's Services Division. Our goal is to help families with young children and support Early Learning & Child Care organizations in Toronto. High quality and accessible learning & care at a young age is an important factor for a child’s growth and development.
The City of Toronto is recognized as one of Canada's top employers, and offers a comprehensive health care, parental leave and pension benefits package, ongoing learning and development, and the opportunity to grow your talents to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals and families in Toronto.
We value teamwork, work/life balance, and flexible working arrangements. We currently have a combination of remote work and some in-person collaboration. We encourage team building activities and social events to promote stronger bonds between team members across multiple roles.
We are a team that is excited about technology and its potential to make lives better for all families and residents. We use modern technologies and methods such as Cloud-based development, Agile Delivery, DevOps, and Customer Experience design. We take pride in our craftsmanship and seek to continually evolve and innovate.
To learn more about our team and what we’re about, please see our LinkedIn showcase page
About the Role
As a Proxy Product Owner, you will help to create innovative solutions to the big challenges facing our growing city. Working closely with the Business Product Owner, you will act as a liaison between the development team and stakeholders, to communicate business needs, regulatory requirements, and strategic objectives.
You will be a key member of a tight-knit, cross-functional team of business transformation practitioners, solution developers, user experience designers and subject matter experts, who collaborate to build award-winning web and mobile apps that deliver real value to our clients.
We take learning and development seriously. As a member of our team, you will have access to training opportunities and be able to utilize the latest tools and techniques while working alongside highly talented and experienced professionals. You will be coached and provided with opportunities to further develop your leadership and technical abilities.
The City of Toronto is recognized as one of Canada's best diversity employers. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing learning and professional growth, and most importantly, the opportunity to apply your talents and skills to positively impact the lives of individuals and families in Toronto.
Toronto Children's Services is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
We welcome Black, Indigenous and People of Colour team members and strongly believe diverse voices strengthen our innovation and customer focus.
What will you do?
In the role of Proxy Product Owner, you will lead technology-enabled business transformation initiatives by partnering closely with business stakeholders and Agile solution delivery teams.
You will leverage Agile frameworks to capture product requirements, define and prioritize product backlogs, and support the development team in achieving sprint goals.
You will also analyze and monitor metrics to identify opportunities for improvement and ensure solutions are meeting their transformation objectives.
With your expertise in client-centric, value-added consulting, you will collaborate with internal and external partners on key projects and strategic initiatives by providing early project conceptualization and strategic consulting.
Leading Agile requirements discovery and backlog refinement sessions, you will create user stories & acceptance tests and create a vision of the solution to be incrementally delivered by the team.
Preparing high level solution roadmaps, business cases and business process models, you will systematically model and decompose complex topics into proposal recommendations to stakeholders, including project sponsors.
You will also lead continuous improvement initiatives from concept through to implementation while building strong relationships with team members and partnerships with business stakeholders.
Contributing to the development of Agile best practices, you will help to shape the organization’s culture to effect greater business transformation.
You may also participate in the hiring of resources and help to motivate and coach team members for more effective teamwork, higher standards of work quality and organizational performance.
What do you need to succeed?
- Considerable experience working with Agile Frameworks such as Scrum, in the capacity of Product Owner, Proxy Product Owner, or Business Analyst supporting a fully Agile development team.
- Considerable experience co-partnering with business owners to identify and formulate approaches and options using digital transformation, service design, technology business consulting, or other approaches for business and systems innovation.
- Experience co-designing systems through reviewing business needs and understanding of new business paradigms by leveraging techniques such as service blueprinting, journey mapping, human centered design, design thinking, or other customer experience analysis and design approaches.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO), Scrum Product Owner Accredited Certification (SPO-AC) or equivalent designation
- Post-Secondary education in a Business or Technology related field such as Business Analysis, Business Transformation, Information Technology, Computer Science or other discipline pertinent to the job function, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
You will also need:
- Knowledge and ability to analyze data, create dashboards and data visualizations.
- Extensive analytical and problem-solving skills, at both strategic and tactical levels. Ability to identify risks by thoroughly assessing implications of proposed solutions.
- Superior interpersonal, verbal, conflict resolution and negotiation skills complemented by a successful track record in building credibility and consensus among senior stakeholders.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Proven ability to work well independently and in a cross-functional team environment, with frequent contact at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to prepare and present business cases, feasibility studies, project plans, and cost benefit analyses to senior management.
While all qualified applicants will be considered, preference may be given to those who identify as Indigenous, Black and/or from any of the equity deserving groups (e.g. people with disabilities, racialized people, members of 2SLGBTQ+ community, etc.).
If you are interested in learning more about the Senior Business & Systems Analyst position within Toronto Children’s Services, you are invited to attend an Information Session. Please click Here to register for the session.
The Information Session will be held on October 2, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm, and will provide an opportunity to learn more about the role and responsibilities of the Senior Business & Systems Analyst, the mandate of the Children's Services Division, what it is like to work at the City of Toronto, as well as the City's application process.
Participants, please note, if you do not wish your name to appear during the session, please enter an alternate First and Last Name at registration or join the session by dialling in.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.