Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America’s foremost property management firm. We’re all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we’re looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what’s right, improving residents’ quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Manager, Strata Accounting will be responsible for the day to day management of the Strata Accounting Department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Overseeing a team of between 4-6 people, the Manager’s primary responsibilities and expectations include:
- Overseeing the daily operations of a team of Strata Property Accountants within the Strata Accounting Department and ensuring Strata financial statements are completed on time
- Assisting with complex financial statement issues and acting as liaison between Strata Managers, strata council members, auditors, banking institutions, other FirstService Residential departments or other third parties as required
- Managing staff levels, portfolio size and assessing individual performance of their team
- Work alongside the other leaders of the Strata Accounting Department to ensure timely execution of deliverables including financial statements, budgets, analyses, and bank account management
- Council member onboarding
- Overseeing, improving and implementing internal control functions
- Assisting the Director of Finance and Vice President Finance with internal policy and procedural changes
- Building and maintaining a strong team of Strata Accountants and corporate culture
- Such other duties assigned by the Director of Finance or Vice President Finance from time to time
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Practice and adhere to FirstService Residential Global Service Standards.
- Conduct business at all times with the highest standards of personal, professional and ethical conduct.
- Perform or assist with any operations as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules. Notify supervision of unusual equipment or operating problems and the need for additional material and supplies.
- May participate in any variety of meetings and work groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, policies, and regulatory guidelines.
- Ensure all safety precautions are followed while performing the work.
- Follow all policies and Standard Operating Procedures as instructed by Management.
- Perform any range of special projects, tasks and other related duties as assigned.
The Manager, Strata Accounting will oversee a team of between 4-6 Strata Property Accountants
Education & Experience
- 3+ years’ previous accounting supervisory experience is required
- Experience in the property management industry will be an asset but not required
- Accounting designation (i.e.. CPA, CA, CMA, CGA or equivalent) preferred
- Undergraduate degree in accounting
Knowledge, Skills & Proficiencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to build great relationships and resolve issues in a timely manner
- Business acumen is a must
- Experience managing and developing a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with Yardi is an asset
- Familiarity with Fund Accounting or the BC Strata Property Act is an asset
From time to time the Manager, Strata Accounting might have to attend meetings outside the office.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- Manager of Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)