Assistant Manager, Catering & Front of House
Reports To: Senior Manager, Hospitality Services
Mission: To create an environment that inspires a passion for student success.
Desired Results of the Position:
- Exceptional catering operations which serve a wide variety of high-quality food options to the community
- A collaborative work culture initiated by Managers that empowers all staff to deliver excellent work
- Venues dedicated to coaching and mentoring staff
Nature and Scope:
The Assistant Manager, Catering (AMC), reporting to the Senior Manager, Hospitality Services, will help lead Students’ Association Catering, and support front-of-house operations in the Observatory, and
Wolves Den. They will help to create a selection of high-quality food options that enhance the experience at Hospitality venues. The AMC will build effective relationships with all Managers and staff.
They will embody and teach all operation standards. They will help maintain appropriate inventory and supply levels, teach part-time staff, and lead the execution of all catering services. Their work will help ensure that Hospitality venues always provide exceptional customer service. The AMC will work harmoniously with all Hospitality Managers and act as a leader among all staff teams. They will also help train new Hospitality staff with a special focus on catering service. They will ensure that all recipes, preparations, and presentations meet or exceed the department’s specifications and commitment to quality.
- Work together with other staff at all SA venues to create a positive work environment that produces a high level of satisfaction among all customers, staff, fellow employees, and clients.
- Develop and maintain effective SA Catering operations.
- Communicate with new and existing clients. Act as the clients’ point of contact for catering requests.
- Prepare and confirm quotes based on client and event requirements. Ensure order accuracy
- Communicate event and catering requirements to all stakeholders and ensure all calendars and reservation systems are updated daily.
- Lead the set-up and tear down of Catering Service in all SA Venues. Ensure client and venue expectations are met.
- Prepare, complete, and record financial documents.
- Help create training programs that enable part-time staff to learn the skills required to become excellent staff members of Hospitality restaurants and SA Catering quickly.
- Supply feedback on guest comments in a timely fashion.
- Identify new potential areas for increased business.
- Assist to hire, train, and scheduling staff and part-time employees.
- Ensure that all venues are sanitary and are a safe work environment at all times.
- Supervise all aspects of daily front-of-house operations, including service, temperature logs, cleaning schedules, opening and closing checklists, equipment maintenance schedules, etc. are completed to the highest quality standards and timely.
- Circulate regularly throughout all Front of House areas, maintaining an active and positive profile with guests and staff.
- Balance cash tills and complete daily deposits.
- Accountable for the accuracy of inventories; responsible for completing inventory counts.
- Accountable for food and beverage cost of sales and labour costs for front-of-house staff.
Manage waste, and drive profitability.
- Provide direction, motivation, leadership, and coaching to all front-of-house staff.
- Assist development of new menu items on an ongoing basis.
- Support promotions and market research of Hospitality venues in partnership with the
Communications and Marketing department.
- Help to discipline employees when required. Ensure that staff follow policies and standards are met.
- Execute reward and incentive programs for front-of-house staff. Encourage staff excellence and the highest commitment to customer service at all times.
- Responsible for Extensive menu and allergen knowledge.
- Ensure staff use equipment appropriately and safely. Follow proper equipment set-up and takedown procedures.
- Help schedule regular maintenance and cleaning of all equipment
- Maintain all required food service sanitation certifications (food-safe, etc.)
- Must be trained and adhere to all provincial requirements and standards regarding Workplace
Health & Safety and Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems.
- Familiar with all the first aid stations, supplies, and equipment. Report any injuries or accidents as well as close calls to the manager on duty immediately.
- Ensure all front-of-house staff wear clean and proper uniform attire at all times when working.
- Execute beverage ordering and assist in processing related invoices, ensuring sufficient stock levels.
- Maintain positive relationships with all vendors and suppliers.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Ability to communicate clearly with customers, and provide for their needs
- Ability to perform essential culinary tasks
- Understanding of all equipment uses, safety functions and cleaning procedures
- Ability to create and follow preparation instructions as required
- Time Management
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Enforcing Laws, Rules, and Regulations
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Quick learning
- Maintain an effective working relationship with managers, and other employees
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- The ideal candidate would have a diploma in Culinary Management, Hospitality Management, or a relevant field.
- Minimum (1) year of supervision experience in catering operations
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees.
- Strong analytical and dispute resolution capabilities.
- Ability to perform sustained physical activity for extended periods.
- Willing to work non-traditional shifts.
- Advanced Food Safety Training
- Smart Serve Certification
- OWHSA certification
- WHMIS certification
- CPR & First Aid certification
- Work in a restaurant setting, with exposure to extreme temperatures
- Manual dexterity is required to use a desktop computer, tablet, knives, and other equipment
- Ability to lift 40lbs required
- High-stress fast-paced environment
- Smart Serve certification
- Advance Food Safety Certification
- First Aid certificate
- Term Contract: August 15th, 2022 – June 30th, 2023
- Salary: $23 per hour, 40-hour work week
- Work week will be flexible with some weeks being more hours and some fewer hours
- 4% vacation pay per pay period
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 10 months
Salary: From $23.00 per hour
Application deadline: 2022-07-11