Trauma and Acute Care Surgery
St Michaels Hospital
Full-time, 1-year renewable contract, maximum 4-years
Pay scale $40,000-50,000 per year + benefits depending on qualifications
St Michaels Hospital and the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute is seeking applications for its funded post-doctoral research fellowship in injury and acute care surgery research. One fellow will be selected for the 2021-2022 academic year with the possibility of extending this position yearly up to three years. Stipends are based on CIHR post-doctoral fellowship stipends according to academic experience. Successful applicants must have a strong commitment to a career in clinical research and a graduate degree (MSc, MPH, or PhD) in epidemiology, public health, statistics, or similar fields. Candidates that have obtained their degree in the past two years are preferred.
Post-doctoral fellows will be provided with the mentorship and research training necessary to conduct competent, interdisciplinary, and impactful research in trauma and acute care surgery. All fellows will have a primary faculty mentor; however, fellows will work with a number of different faculty members on different projects with varied methodological approaches.
Number of positions available: 1 Hours of work: 37.5 hours/week (full-time)
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES The successful candidate may be responsible for, but not limited to: 1. Developing, planning and implementing study protocols, analytic plans and project initiation documents under the direction of up to 5 trauma and acute care surgeons.
These activities may include:
- Completing systematic literature searches and/or reviews and meta-analysis;
- Interpreting and summarizing results for presentations to the project team and others;
- Assisting with the preparation of grant applications, including drafting grant proposals; - Assisting with REB applications;
- Contributing / leading the writing of reports & scientific manuscripts for academic publication.
2. General research coordination and quality improvement initiatives which may include: - Coordinating projects and facilitating communication between investigators, trainees and analysts;
- Performing general project management including monitoring timeline, scope, budget & deliverables;
- Performing other duties as appropriate and necessary for the efficient functioning of the team;
- Continuing to maintain and expand professional skills.
3. Supervision and mentoring of trainees -Assist with supervision and mentorship of summer research students
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong knowledge of systematic review and meta-analysis methodologies; - Understanding of health services research concepts;
- Strong desire to function in an environment that requires constant adaptation to changing organizational needs and re-prioritizing workload to accommodate;
- Extreme comfort when expected to produce high levels of output;
- Functions best in an environment that offers a lot of independence / with little oversight; Expectations are that staff understand when concerns are present and raise them to management when applicable;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and apply decision-making skills;
- Ability to apply statistical and epidemiological methods/principles to health services research;
- Experience working with a diverse team and building public health, research, academic, institutional or professional networks;
- Effective project management skills with the ability to prioritize workload;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to maintain strict confidence as required when interacting with stakeholders.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s or doctoral degree in epidemiology, health services research, public health, biostatistics or a related field;
- Experience in a health facility or health research environment, with similar involvement in identifying or working with administrative data sources, designing research studies, procuring data, preparing reports, and editing with scientific rigour. A demonstrated interest in the field of Traumatic Injury or emergency surgery would be an asset.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit an application that clearly indicates how they meet the qualifications, including their academic CV, transcripts (if graduated in the past 3 years) and a list of two references.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process
Related keywords: epidemiology, epidemiologist, public health, research
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, 1-year renewable contract Employee Statutory Deductions: All standard government deductions will be deducted from the PDFs’ pay (e.g., Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Employment Insurance (EI), Income tax etc.)
Start Date: July/August 2021
Contract length: 12 months
Application deadline: 2021-08-31
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $40,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
- Master's Degree (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19