Reading Tent Staff
Term: 8 weeks - July 5 – August 27, 2021
Location: 255 Tache Ave and various partner locations in Winnipeg
Start date: Monday, July 5, 2021
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization that was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults, and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of partner organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
Reading Tents, as part of the history and traditions of Frontier College, is intended to promote reading and literacy awareness by exposing children and families to a wide range of books, stories, and creative literacy activities. The primary role of the Reading Tent staff is to organize, promote and coordinate a series of outdoor reading tents for children and their parents or caregivers. The purpose of these reading tents is to encourage children to read for fun as well as to further develop their reading skills during the summer months. Reading Tents will be held in multiple locations around the city
Successful Candidates will be responsible for the implementation, record keeping, and reporting on the reading tent program. The successful candidate will be expected to work independently to deliver the various activities with support from on-site partner staff. They will represent Frontier College at sites in various locations across Winnipeg. They will report directly to the Regional Manager - prairies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Outreach to children’s agencies and/or summer programs/events, in specified, but not limited to low income, under-served communities in Winnipeg to promote the Reading Tent program
· Schedule and coordinate Reading Tent times and locations at various sites throughout the city
· Schedule times for groups to visit the tent
· Plan, create, implement, organize and lead creative literacy activities for participants
· Support and supervise volunteers
· Assist with volunteer recognition at the end of the program
Skills and Attributes
- Strong organization, planning and communication skills
- Prior experience with children’s programming
- Ability to supervise and coordinate volunteers
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to develop creative and innovative children’s programs suitable for ages 1 to 12
- Available some evenings and weekends. Must have a valid driver’s license and regular use of a vehicle (Travel is required throughout the city and is a component of the job)
- A valid First Aid Certificate
- Previous knowledge and experience with Frontier College programs
Screening & Selection:
Candidates will be screened through:
- Interview - virtual
- Reference Checks (names & phone numbers of 3 references will be required)
- Criminal Record Check (CRC) with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) will be required
*Successful candidates are required to provide a current CRC (new or not older than 6 months from the term start date) with vulnerable sector search. Frontier College will cover the cost of the CRC and VSC (a receipt must be provided) *
Compensation: $15.00 per hour, 35 hours per week for an 8-week period. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Interested candidates should send resumé and covering letter to:
Allie Karasiuk Regional Manager - Prairies
Closing date: May 28, 2021
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
We encourage applications that reflect the diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds we serve at Frontier College. In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of our organization, we encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Furthermore, we welcome applications from individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with theHuman Rights Code, theAccessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, theOccupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation. We invite applicants to request an accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.
Contract length: 8 weeks
Application deadline: 2021-05-28
Expected start date: 2021-07-05
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $15.00 per hour