Assistant Clerk & Accounting Clerk
The Village of Dorchester located in South East New Brunswick is currently seeking a full time Assistant Clerk & Accounting Clerk to join our team.
Dorchester is a quiet, rural community rich in history with numerous historical buildings. The village is centrally located within the Maritimes with easy access to the highway, 34 km from Moncton, 14 km from Sackville, 25 km from Amherst. Overlooking the beautiful Memramcook Valley and Shepody Bay, part of the UNESCO Fundy biosphere where 120,000 sandpipers visit every summer.
This position requires the successful applicant to work regular office hours (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm). Additional time outside of the normal work week will be required from time to time (i.e.: Regular Council Meeting). Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), this position is responsible for administrative and accounting duties. Including various confidential accounting (basic skills required) and administrative support and general reception for the Village of Dorchester.
· Performs administrative duties and support to CAO, and all town departments;
· Handles all front counter public inquires, work orders, municipal requests, accounts receivable;
· Responsible for inventory control of supplies and asset management;
· Receives requests from the public (in person, over the phone or by email) and transmits to staff and/or council to process as needed/ handle when required;
· Attends Regular & Special Council Meetings (i.e.: recording Council Meeting Minutes);
· Duties of Assistant Clerk are included with this position. Experience in local government would be an asset.
· Preparation of council reports and materials for council package;
· Completes all filing for the organization;
· Completes copying and mailings as needed. Picks up, sorts, and distributes mail;
· Answers all incoming phone calls and provides information and assistance to the public;
· Assists public by answering questions, directing them to the appropriate person, recording and transmitting messages to staff or elected officials, keeping of daily logs;
· Creation of posters or ads as required for website and social media, booking of facilities, and editing/ preparing content for Village Newsletter; and
· Organization, event preparation and delivery of events and programs.
Accounting / Finance:
· Monitors expenditures, receipts, and cash flow to ensure sufficient funds are available;
· Oversees the billing, receipt and recording of water/ sewer billing. Tracks collection of water/ sewer accounts, providing unpaid account reports, resolving collections by examining customer payment plans and payment history;
· Prepares accounts payable and receivable transactions for posting, verifies account information, providing accounts payable list for council approval, generates cheques for bill payments;
· Maintains and processes payroll, deductions, remittances, reports, benefits, and vacation records for all Village staff and elected officials;
· Reconciles village bank accounts and makes deposits to the bank;
· Maintains updated information in all accounts and ensures all accounts are balanced;
· Generates financial statements and cash balance fund reports for Village of Dorchester Council;
· Works with auditors at year-end. Generates reports and presents all financial data as required for the audit;
· Responsible for maintaining & reconciling petty cash balance; and
· Experienced in budget process, budget monitoring and monthly financial reporting required.
Qualifications & Competencies:
· Knowledge of municipal financial management including but not limited to: investment of funds, accounting, payroll and billing practices and financial records, payables, receivables;
· Ability to perform mathematical calculations and maintain accurate, and complete records at all times;
· Considerable ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
· Ability to represent the village in a professional, courteous, and efficient manner and handle public contact with friendliness, responsiveness, and tact;
· Skilled in operating office equipment;
· Skilled in Sage 50 Accounting System with speed and accuracy;
· Skilled in all Microsoft 365 including: Publisher, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote, Outlook;
· Considerable ability to account for and handle money, experience, and education in business accounting required;
· Ability to prepare a variety of financial reports; experience using accounting systems required;
· Ability to compose correspondence, minutes, reports, and other written materials as administrative support to the organization;
· Considerable ability to research and solve problems, must be detail oriented, adaptable, flexible, excellent time management skills.
· Considerable ability to respond to a variety of situations with a calm and steady manner;
· Must be able to work in an extremely fast-paced environment, and adapt easily to a constantly changing environment;
· Function in accordance with established standards, procedures, and applicable legislation;
Other duties as assigned.
Pre-employment screening will be required. A Criminal Record Check is a condition of employment. You must be bondable.
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, July 21st, at 1:00 PM, local time.
We appreciate interest in this position however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-07-21
Job Type: Full-time
- Sage: 1 year (preferred)
- Bookkeeping: 1 year (preferred)