Glen Hill Strathaven
Recreation Assistant (casual)
Durham Christian Homes is a welcoming community that provides exemplary, quality care to our residents through empowerment, compassion, dignity, and respect.
POSITION SUMMARY Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Recreation Assistant assists in the planning, implementing and evaluating of recreation, lifestyle and wellness services and programs to meet the various physical, emotional, social, intellectual and leisure interests and needs of the resident.
The Recreation Assistant is required to perform their duties in a manner consistent with the core values and employee guiding principles, ensure resident safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sets up the activity area as necessary and assists in transporting residents to and from program, if required;
- Participates in committees and meetings as directed;
- Participates in development and revision of departmental procedures and programs under the guidance of the Program Manager;
- Maintains program and resident records according to departmental policies. Regularly reports participation and feedback by residents to Program Manager;
- Maintains updates to daily events, posters and designated leisure bulletin boards;
- Assists in the completion and distribution of the monthly activity calendar.
- Implements leisure programs such as exercise classes, crafts, social events, entertainment, outings and special events as assigned by the Program Manager;
- Participates in development of new or revised program plans;
- Assists in monitoring the residents' interests, needs and progress;
- Assists in dismantling and clean-up of program area as required returning area to a “tour ready” condition;
- Works cooperatively with volunteers, student and community groups;
- Works co-operatively with other departments to meet resident needs;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Diploma in recreation/leisure studies or equivalent;
- Experience in working with seniors including an understanding of motivation concepts with seniors preferred;
- Computer proficiency is an asset;
- Restorative Care certificate an asset
Job Type: Casual