The Captain is the company’s management representative on board the vessel and they are charged with the responsibility to support and protect the best interests of the Corporation in all areas of their job role.
The Captain’s over responsibilities include but are not limited to the safety of the crew and the safe operation of the vessel whilst at the same time responsible for protecting the owner’s commercial interests. The Captain has the overriding authority and responsibility to make decisions with respect to safety and pollution prevention. The Captain is expected to perform his or her duties in accordance with the Canada Shipping Act and Regulations, Canada Labour Code, Company Policies and Procedures.
This is a management position and is non-unionized.
Wages and benefits are outlined in the company’s Terms of Reference and Benefits Booklet.
- Master Mariner (preferred) or Master, Near Coastal
- General Operator’s License (GOC)
- GLPA certificate (preferred)
- Ship Security Officer (preferred)
- MED training with respect to STCW Basic Safety
- MED training with respect to proficiency in survival craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats
- MED in advanced fire fighting
- Marine Medical
- Personnel with Security Duties
Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Minimum 2 years recent experience working on tanker vessels
- Experience with Safety Management Systems
- Excellent leadership skills
- Knowledge of English language is required
Algoma Central Corporation encourages application from designated group members identified under the Federal Employment Equity Act. We wish to thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Captain Dry Bulk” in the subject line of your email.
Algoma Central Corporation – #600-63 Church Street – St. Catharines – Ontario – Canada – L2R 3C4