Minerals Technologies Inc.
Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Division: Specialty Minerals (Paper PCC)
Work Site: Windsor, Quebec
Under limited supervision, performs varied maintenance duties necessary to insure continuous safe operation of the production facilities. Position requires an Industrial Maintenance Technician that is experienced in mechanical maintenance or electrical maintenance. Position requires multi-trade skills therefore training in mechanical maintenance, electrical troubleshooting, instrumentation calibration and repair, etc. may be provided to selected candidate.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prioritizing with the site Self Directed Work Team and the Plant Manager for planned, routine, or emergency maintenance repair to minimize production downtime and maximize production efficiency.
- Troubleshoots and repairs existing blowers, pumps, seals, valves, piping systems, fans, gear reducers, sprockets, chains, belts, bearings, screening systems, ductwork, motors, starters, wiring systems, thermal pneumatic and electronic instruments, thermocouples, circuit breakers, overloads, fuses, start-stop stations, etc.
- Performs preventive maintenance (PM) inspections and makes repairs of problems found during inspections. Recommends, initiates, and maintains the preventive maintenance programs.
- Applies skills in calibration/repair of process instrumentation such as temperature/pressure transmitters, temperature/pressure probes, flow measuring devices, solenoids, conductivity/pH meters, level transmitters, etc.
- Supervises outside contract labor as required, including scope of work planning.
- Perform proficiently in skilled tasks such as welding, brazing, wiring, etc.
- Recommends spare parts requirements and suggested inventory levels. Maintains inventory of all spare parts and initiates purchase orders, receiving and tracking of replacement parts.
- Maintains the Work Order systems as necessary to ensure a smooth transition to a centralized system, and permanent record of equipment history.
- Maintains and utilizes Maintenance Management System to help track plant maintenance activities in such areas as work orders, equipment history, preventative and predictive maintenance, etc.
- Follows lubrication recommendations for all equipment on appropriate frequency.
- Works with the team to identify and implement recommendations resulting in improvements to the plant safety performance.
- Use of Operational Excellence (lean) techniques for continuous improvement as part of the plant team, including on-gong training. Helps drive Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) to drive the plant towards the highest level of performance.
- In addition to the above described duties, as part of a small team the maintenance technician may be requested to perform operation related duties to assist the plant team.
The requirements listed in the sections that follow are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform the duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions (primary duties) of the job.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum 5 years field experience in an industrial environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Knowledge of the English language and advanced mechanical/electrical skills and industrial equipment/systems are required. Experience in both mechanical, electrical and instrumentation maintenance is desired. Candidate must have the ability to function effectively in a self-directed team environment and show this ability through previous training and our own testing protocols. Lean (Operational Excellence) background a definite plus . Knowledge of computers and ability to learn, use and troubleshoot computer programs utilized at SMI is required. (Excel, Word, Adobe, Lotus Notes, Oracle, Kronos, PlantWeb, etc.)
While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically required to have the ability to exert physical strength throughout the work shift, coordinate movements, use repetitive motions, regularly stand, walk, bend, squat, climb, reach, crouch, kneel, lift, twist, push and pull throughout a work shift; work in confined spaces, have manual dexterity, lift materials weighing up to and including 50 pounds, select and use appropriate equipment/tools to accomplish job duties, read, write, listen, speak and understand English, follow all instructions and other oral/written information, visually inspect equipment/work area, complete paperwork and other documentation accurately, identify, analyze, troubleshoot and solve equipment/work area issues using judgement and mechanical/electrical knowledge and skills, react quickly as needed, use judgement to determine when additional resources are needed to address issues, communicate effectively with others, record labor distribution information from the work shift, be aware of oneself in relation to surrounding equipment, work independently and as a team with others, and use, monitor and adjust equipment and related processes. Ability to instruct/transfer job information/knowledge to others is preferred.
Must be able to work with, troubleshoot and install three phase electricity, possess excellent welding, fabrication, and flame cutting skills, possess extensive knowledge of lubrication methods, install, troubleshoot and repair hydraulic and pneumatic operated systems, read, understand and follow blueprints, building drawings, and electrical schematics. Ability to perform pipefitting, plumbing, and carpentry are preferred.
Must be able to work with, troubleshoot and install blowers, pumps, seals, valves, piping systems, fans, gear reducers, sprockets, chains, belts, bearings, screening systems, ductwork, motors, starters, wiring systems, thermal pneumatic and electronic instruments, thermocouples, circuit breakers, overloads, fuses, start-stop stations. Must be able to demonstrate skills in calibration/repair of process instrumentation such as temperature/pressure transmitters, temperature/pressure probes, flow measuring devices, solenoids, conductivity/pH meters, level transmitters.
Being under limited supervision, the employee is expected to be self-directed, highly motivated, take initiative and be persistent when appropriate to accomplish necessary duties and complete required work without prompting from the supervisor. Additionally, the employee is expected to be adaptable/flexible to changing work assignments, perform multiple tasks at once, have a high level of integrity, dependability and self-control to maintain composure, learn and memorize procedures, prioritize work, manage time effectively and efficiently, meet established deadlines, display a cooperative demeanor, outstanding interpersonal skills, read, understand and follow all company, job specific and safety policies/procedures, and attend/use all required training.
Travel: Availability for some travel as a technical resource (interplant, training) is required.
Working Conditions: While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically exposed to dust, loud noise, high places, confined spaces, very low and/or bright light, and outside weather conditions. Primarily works alone but may work as part of a team working in close proximity to others and works in close proximity with equipment.
Work Hours: Must have ability to work the shift/number of hours in which duties need to be accomplished, which may include overtime, and occasional weekends and holidays. The plant is a continuous operation requiring some call-in availability, as well as having the maintenance person on call.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Industrial maintenance: 5 years (preferred)
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place