Summer Program 2019
Summer Student / Youth Employment Opportunities
Thanks to the support of the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario, Special Olympics Ontario is pleased to offer summer employment opportunities to young people (15 – 30 years of age) from May to August. There are multiple student employment opportunities in the following communities and regions:
Durham Region (Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Whitby)
Greater Toronto Area
Kingston & Area
London & Area
Simcoe North & Orillia
Ottawa & Area
Niagara Region (St. Catharines, Fort Erie, Grimsby, Niagara Falls, Port Colborne & Welland)
Peel Region (Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga)
York Region (Aurora, Markham, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Vaughan)
Waterloo Region (Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo)
These positions are compensated at $16.00 per hour and vary in hours per week (30-40 hours).
Contract durations are from 8 weeks – 12 weeks in duration based on the project and location.
Program areas and possible projects include:
1. Program Development
- Community & School Programs Support
- Coach & Volunteer Resource Development
- First Nations, Partner in Play, Unified and Inclusive Camp Programs
2. Health / Research Programs
- Healthy Athletes and Healthy Communities Program Development
- Research Coordination and Research Projects with Special Olympics Research Partners including: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Queen’s University, University of Toronto, University of Western Ontario, York University
3. Marketing, Fundraising & Business Development
- Event & Business Development support for Special Olympics Ontario & The Law Enforcement Torch Run of Ontario
- Communications, Marketing & Fundraising projects
- Finance, Administration, Membership & Donations support
4. Technology & Resource Development
- Website & Graphic Design
- Platform & Application development for projects such as eLearning, Virtual Competition, Health & Fitness programs, Competition Results, Data Visualization & Knowledge Translation applications
- Rollout and training for online registration, membership and competition management systems
5. Athlete Development & Leadership
- Athlete Leadership Program, Input Council and Health Ambassador Development
- These positions are ideally suited for Special Olympics athletes seeking work experience
6. Sport, Competition & Major Games
- Sport Program & Sport Partnership Development
- Support for Provincial School Championships, Provincial Games & Team Ontario
Special Olympics Ontario is an accessible and equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, members of diverse communities and people with diverse experiences and educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Qualified candidates are encouraged to complete an application and submit their resume and cover letter online.
- Candidates must meet ALL of the following criteria:
o Be between the ages of 15 and 30
o Be a Canadian Citizen OR a Permanent Resident OR a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
o Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
- International students who do not meet the above criteria are not eligible for this program.
- Applications must be completed online at http://go.specialolympicsontario.ca/summerprogram
- Only applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
- Applications open on March 1, 2019
- Individuals are encouraged to apply early.
- Applicants will be contacted for interviews at the beginning of April.
- Applications will be received and processed on an ongoing basis until all positions are filled with revolving start dates in May, June and July.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Special Olympics Ontario invites applications from all qualified individuals and invite applications from people of all abilities and experiences. Our summer program in particular encourages applications from Special Olympics athletes between the ages of 15 and 30 and has roles for young people with intellectual disabilities seeking work experience.
In keeping with our commitment to equity and diversity we welcome and encourage applications from persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
APPLY ONLINE AT: http://go.specialolympicsontario.ca/summerprogram
Job Type: Contract
- DCS / DEC (Preferred)