Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development (PKED) is a non-profit corporation responsible for the delivery of economic development, business advisory and tourism services on behalf of the City of Peterborough and County of Peterborough. We play a leadership and strategic role in developing the economic capacity of the Peterborough region. It is our task to serve visitors, promote tourism and encourage businesses to stay, expand and invest in Peterborough & the Kawarthas.
We have a team of dynamic professionals who offer economic expertise that identifies growth opportunities, provides services to existing ventures, and attracts new companies and visitors by sharing the region’s competitive advantages.
As the Corporate Communications Officer, you lead the promotion of core economic development initiatives of Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development externally to the Peterborough region. You also work collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications team to promote corporate programs and initiatives to stakeholders, media and the public. Your work ultimately leads to jobs and helps Peterborough & the Kawarthas become a thriving economy, resulting in regional prosperity.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead PKED corporate communication initiatives:
- Collaborate with the Corporate Marketing Officer, to develop and implement the corporate communications plan and ensure it’s aligned with the strategic direction and annual work plan.
- Lead and ensure required development and maintenance of all communications material: website content, advertising, trade show, special event collateral and press releases in coordination with the Corporate Marketing Officer.
- Connect with local influential media outlets and journalists to place stories about corporate initiatives.
- Write press releases and other media communications to promote PKED initiatives.
- Oversee the development of the annual Editorial Calendar.
- Create an annual Public Relations Plan and lead content development for increasing awareness of the corporation and its activities (press releases, corporate announcements, and presentations)
- Be aware of current events and potential implications to economic development on a regional level, informing team members and incorporating into communications plan when required.
- Lead engagement in relevant social discussions about our corporation with members of the local business community, key stakeholders and partners.
- Regularly monitor media to track exposure of PKED & PKT initiatives.
- Liaise with Corporate Operations Coordinator, as required, to support activities of President/CEO and PKED Board of Directors communications.
- Monitor the media environment to ensure that corporate reputation is in good standing. Report any risks as well as remedial actions to Director.
- Monitor and report on the return on investment for key communications activities.
- Oversee and approve all corporate communication initiatives to ensure consistency in corporate messaging.
- Lead the development of all social media and communication programs for the business audience.
- Collaborate with Business Development and Tourism staff to:
- Develop and implement the annual corporate marketing and communications plan.
- Develop and distribute communication programs and materials that comply with program specific (i.e. BAC) and corporate brand guidelines.
- Create content in the development of presentations, website, publications, etc.
- Support the promotion of corporate events where required.
- Initiate and champion special projects based on current environment, often in partnership with external organizations. Manage and support development and implementation of communication initiatives, managing project life cycle activities:
- Define project scope, goals, success criteria and deliverables that support communication goals in collaboration with project team and key internal/external stakeholders.
- Communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders, liaising on an ongoing basis to manage expectations.
- Plan, schedule and track project timelines, milestones and deliverables.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyzing results and troubleshooting problem areas.
- Report project status, including project Key Performance Indicators to Director and stakeholders when required.
Work within and support the Corporate Culture:
- Conform to all PKED corporate policies and procedures.
- Be a positive ambassador for the organization, the PKED Board and staff as well as the communities we serve.
- Provide input to the Director of Tourism and Communications during annual corporate strategic planning and Business Plan development as well as the associated metrics for reporting.
- Develop and get approval of your annual work plan and associated budgets according to corporate calendar timelines.
- Work effectively and efficiently to achieve your annual work plan on-budget and on-time.
- Proactively identify challenges and recommend solutions throughout the year.
- Actively participate in your individual performance review and demonstrate work that lives the corporate values, and follows corporate policies and procedures.
Customer service and relationship building:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with local media.
- Represent and promote corporate programs and services at external functions with partners.
- Support work with key partners that helps achieve strategic goals.
- Maintain strong relationships with city, county, council, and senior government officials.
- Deliver exceptional customer service at every stage in the process.
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner.
- Stronger working relationships with local media to gain increased coverage of PKED initiatives.
- Greater community awareness of PKED and its divisions.
- Increased attendance with PKED programs and functions.
- Increased public engagement with social media channels.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND EDUCATION
- A proven track record in the public/government relations, marketing and/or communications field.
- Ability to run PR campaigns that deliver measurable results and meet objectives.
- Deadline-oriented, inquisitive, with great follow-up and reporting skills.
- Creativity in securing coverage and buzz with traditional outlets.
- Background in and/or understanding of economic development an asset.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining private and public sector partnerships as well as communicating with business leaders.
- Understanding of social media and solid experience working with bloggers.
- Strong presentation and communication skills with multiple audiences required.
- Ability to respond well under pressure with strict time limit.
- Ability to work on big strategy plans as well as day-to-day tasks.
- Portfolio or samples of previous work required.
Post-secondary degree in business communications, public relations, marketing, and or equivalent.
Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development is an equal opportunity employer.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information is collected solely
for the purpose of job selection under the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of
Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Thank-you to all applicants. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $46,209.00 to $50,181.00 /year
- marketing and/or communications: 1 year (Preferred)
- government relations: 1 year (Preferred)
- social media/blogging: 1 year (Preferred)
- Public Relations: 1 year (Preferred)