MDI is one of the largest dairy operations in Manitoba and is a processor of specialty dried Milk Protein Concentrate (MPC) and Butter.
The primary role of Production Leadhand is to be the senior person on shift in the department and the point of contact for other staff; work in partnership with the Supervisor to maintain set production schedules by clearly communicating work assignments to team; assisting team in production operations; planning; monitoring and reviewing results; educating and coaching.
Must be able to work 12-hour Continental Night Shift 7:00pm - 7:00am
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Back-up for Supervisor or Process Operators in their absence
- Assist Spray Drying operations within department and in other departments as required
- Knowledge of all equipment operations and production process
- Communicates with Supervisor on a daily basis with regards to production schedules and issues; staff requirements; equipment repairs; concerns involving employees.
- Daily on the floor supervision of teams.
- Communicate with all team members and other Departments to ensure understanding of daily production plan.
- Complete production plan by delegating and directing work within teamand resolve daily production issue and concerns
- Ensure that employees understand and follow SOPs
- Complete daily production reporting requirements.
- Lead by Example
- Develop and maintain a team-based work environment by providing leadership, direction, coaching, training, and clear and consistent communication.
- Coordinates staffrequired to efficiently complete operational processes within production operations. Consults with Production Manager as required. I.E. directing staff, work scheduling, employee relations.
- Ensure a respectful, safe, and healthy work environment.
- Assist in the development of positive cross functional/department relationships.
Safety & Environment
- Foster safe work practices by enforcing standard safety procedures and as required develop and implement practical recommendations for safety practices.
- Recommend measures to improve methods, performance, and quality of processes and suggests changes in working conditions to increase efficiency.
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills, Ability)
- Demonstrates leadership ability and interpersonal skills, create a team environment, and drive employee productivity and competence.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the proven ability to communicate one-on-one and in group settings.
- Focus on quality including the adherence to Quality Policy and standard operating procedures that create department efficiencies.
- Problem solver with good analytical skills and the ability to trouble shoot as the need arises. Involves staff in the decision-making process.
- Occasionally required to work various shifts as required by the department.
- Degree or Diploma in Food Science or other related discipline required with 2 years previous experience in a food production environment.
- 2 years of previous leadership
- Knowledge of Spray Drying operations a definite asset
- Highly organized with excellent time management/priority setting skills and knows how to make the right decisions.
- High numerical and mathematical ability.
- Working proficiency with MS Office applications, internet applications and Navision system.
- Forklift license and First-Aid certified or must be willing to obtain.
Job Type: Full-time
- Food Manufacturing: 2 years (Required)
- Spray Drying: 1 year (Preferred)
- Leadership Role: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Winnipeg, MB (Preferred)