Title: Computer Science and Math Tutor (Subject Area Specialist)
Alexander College is a private higher educational institute that provides academic preparation and university courses for students wishing to begin an academic career. Please refer to the AC website (www.alexandercollege.ca) for information about programs, service offerings and campus locations.
At Writing and Learning Centre (WLC), we provide one on one tutoring to current AC students for all courses offered at the College. Our goal is to help students develop their core academic skills to be able to apply them across all disciplines. We have a great track record for helping students get better grades by helping them to build their skills in math, economics, sciences, English, humanities, social sciences and academic writing.
Campus: Vancouver and Burnaby
Hours: Monday- Friday, both part-time and full-time positions are available
Type: Temporary contract, with the possibility of new contracts in subsequent terms
Compensation: $20.00 per hour
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (students in 3rd and 4th year of studies are welcome)
- Experience tutoring or teaching in a post secondary academic setting preferred
- Demonstrates experience in personalized or group instruction;
- Strong foundation in Object Oriented Programming concepts. Python and Java preferred;
- Strong understanding of basic Discrete Mathematics principals
- Excellent interpersonal and student service skills;
- Dedication in helping students succeed;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- Ability to work in a professional office setting;
- Highly flexible and demonstrates the ability to work alone or with a team;
- Ability to carry on tasks with little or no supervision;
- A positive and charismatic attitude with an outgoing personality;
- Tutoring students in a group setting or on an individual basis;
- Filing student tutoring reports in a timely manner, using the College’s online reporting system;
- Being an integral part of the Writing & Learning Centre by providing students with resources they need regarding all courses in Computer Science;
- Participating in all institutional effectiveness initiatives by providing assistant to the Writing & Learning Centre Manager;
- Assisting with the creation of new initiatives to increase student involvement with the College and the community;
- Invigilating midterms and final exams;
- Leading student workshops relevant to successful academic writing.
Please send a detailed cover letter, resume, and your school TRANSCRIPT (must be PDF or Word file) to Hermine Chan, Writing & Learning Centre Manager. Alexander College thanks all applicants, however only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary