Herzog companies was founded in 1969 by William E. Herzog as a heavy/highway construction contractor in the Midwest. Herzog now specializes in Railroad Construction, Transit Operation and Maintenance Services, Civil Construction and Railroad Services nationwide. Our team consists of people who are innovators at heart, continuously exploring new ways to improve our products, services, and, ultimately, the industry. By always challenging ourselves - and each other - to push for more, we keep Herzog at the forefront of the rail industry.
Herzog Railroad Services of Canada, LTD is currently taking applications for Ballast Technicians across Canada. This exceptional career opportunity is ideally suited for a motivated individual who will be part of an industry leading technology based team that provides a unique and specialized service to our customers. Due to the seasonal nature of this job, at times 100% travel is required during spring, summer and fall. Little to no work is performed during the winter months. For this reason the Ballast Technician is paid a weekly salary the entire year. Each technician is supplied with a company vehicle and mobile phone. Our technicians must have the ability to travel to the US to our corporate headquarters for training purposes.
Candidates will receive pay during their free training period (approximately 8-12 weeks)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Duties include, but are not limited to;
- Survey track with specially designed software.
- Unload ballast from trains using patented automated software.
- Maintain rail cars and do routine inspections.
- Repair rail cars and system components using basic hand tools.
- Troubleshoot electrical, hydraulic and GPS components.
- Compile reports and data and routinely upload to home office.
- Coordinate work schedule with Railroad, Field Supervisor and home office.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be 21 years or older
- While paid training is provided some basic experience and interest in mechanical maintenance and computer systems is required. However, our patented system is unique in the industry and we will train the right candidate who is interested in travel and motivated to learn and grow. Here are the basic requirements of this position:
- Basic mechanical ability required.
- Must provide basic hand tools.
- Experience with hydraulics and electrical systems are a plus.
- Railroad experience is a plus but not required.
- Experience with computers and excel are required.
- Extensive travel is required
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Must provide steel toe boots (safety vest, glasses and hardhat provided)
- Must be able to cover travel expenses (if required) until 1st paycheck is processed (approximately 7-10 after start date)
- Work in extreme all-weather conditions; uneven surfaces; safety sensitive work environment
- Able to walk on uneven surfaces over sometimes great distances; frequently climb on/off equipment; climb ladders frequently
- Use hands to perform activities involving grasping, turning, holding and pulling
- Able to visually distinguish colors - red, blue, green, yellow; hear and distinguish auditory signals
- Able to work in conditions with loud noise; work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, walk, stand and sit for extended time; and use hand tools
- Exert 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly.
- Valid driver’s license
Extensive travel is required.
- Pass and maintain e-RAILSAFE pre-employment background check and safety certification.
- Subject to Driver's Abstract report review.
- Maintain valid driver’s license and endorsements as required per position.
- Pass pre-employment DOT physical, medical evaluation, and drug screen due to the safety sensitive nature of this position
- This position requires you to pass and maintain a DOT medical evaluation to drive a Herzog commercial vehicle.
- Successfully complete and maintain any required safety certification and testing on an annual basis.
- Herzog is nationally recognized for its excellent corporate safety record which results from all employees at all levels, in all positions adhering to established policies and procedures. Reporting any and all safety violations to your immediate supervisor is a prerequisite for continued employment. Safety diligence by all results in a safe work environment for all.
- Herzog offers a supplemental benefits package including medical and dental coverage.
Herzog Railroad Services of Canada, Ltd. is an Equal Equity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time