Through our vision to eliminate poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, Bissell Centre’s work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. Our mission is to work with others to empower people to move from poverty to prosperity. We enable people to meet their own basic daily needs, participate in community, have sustainable livelihoods, feel hope for the future and make plans for a prosperous life.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill a full time 6 month contract for Victim Support Staff with the possibility of permanent full time.
The key function of this position is to provide street level access to programs and services available for victims of crime. Assistance provided includes crisis intervention, intensive case management, advocacy, information, supported referrals, outreach assistance, eligibility requirements, financial literacy and follow-up support. The Victim Support Worker builds community relationships with other inner-city agencies to increase awareness of Victims Services Program.
Specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Identify and recommend participants who could access Victims Services Program
- Provide justifiable data, information and report to determine eligibility to the program
- Assist with accurate form completion, acquiring correct addresses and obtaining identification
- Develop personal plans with program participants and provide regular follow-up (including outreach services) to support them in the achievement of their goals
- Provide flexible one-on-one case management depending on the needs of the individual
- Conduct regular risk and needs assessments and safety planning to ameliorate potential threats and retaliation
- Provide crisis intervention when needed by identifying the crisis, minimizing the harm to the individual and others, and assisting the individual to explore their options
- Make appropriate supported referrals to health and community services and provide advocacy support services with, or on behalf of, individuals as needed
- Assist with preparation for court appearances and accompany to court as required
- Provide follow up regarding status of cases, court proceedings, and court dispositions (in partnership with Edmonton Police Service Victim Services Unit)
- Connecting individuals with appropriate financial literacy resources to safeguard compensations awards and to reduce further victimization
- Develop productive working relationships with program partners and Advisory Committee
- Build community relationships with other inner-city agencies to increase awareness of Victims Services Programs
- Present community awareness sessions to ensure inner-city residents, front line workers, and community agencies to increase awareness of Victims Services Program
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor Degree or Diploma in Social Work preferred with relevant experience working with victims of crime
- Applicants with Social Work Diploma/Degree/Masters are required to provide and maintain ongoing registration, in good standing, with Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW) as per Alberta Health Professions Act
- Minimum 1 year relevant working experience with the homeless and vulnerable population
- Strong written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, applied time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Efforts to Outcomes case management software is considered an asset
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel programs
- Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
- Familiarity working with high risk populations and an understanding of Aboriginal cultures, history and current issues
- Works from a strength base and able to model appropriate and healthy relationships
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by June 21st, 2019 to:
Manager, Integrated Case Management Services
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract