Looking for a part-time English female or male to care for a bright, intelligent, happy, sociable and personable 14-year old boy who is medically fragile.
We have particular need for daytime nursing shifts on Thursdays and weekends.
You must have at least 5 years of relevant field experience working with highly medically complex children.
If you have a RPN (nursing) designation and a valid CNO registration number you can earn between $27 and $30 per hour. If you have a DSW/PSW or equivalent certification you can command a wage of between $20 and $23 per hour.
All rates are quoted as employee rates, rates for independent contractors are around 20% higher.
You must have a valid police check for service with the vulnerable sector done within the last 6 months, and must have a valid CPR certification.
You must enjoy spending time with children, and be creative enough to invent new games, activities and crafts as appropriate.
The client weighs 85 Lbs and has quadriplegia and severe to profound hearing loss (only mild loss when wearing hearing aids). He is nonverbal, has a tracheostomy and requires a ventilator 24 hours/day. He suffers from mild reflux. He requires a wheelchair.
You must have use of a car.
Your Role :
- Use suctioning/cough assist machine/bagging techniques to ensure his airway remains clear.
- Perform tracheostomy tube changes as required (as a nurse), or assist in such changes (as a personal support worker).
- Execute transfers with an electric ceiling lift.
- Help implement the care plans of the various therapists on the client's case, including speech&language pathologist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, communications therapists and respirologist.
- Feeding via g-tube, with a small amount of supplemental oral feeding.
- Peri-care as required.
- Bathing in his inflatable tub placed on his hospital bed.
- Provide interactive and fun reading time.
- Perform in-bed range of motion exercises.
- Use eye-gaze-driven computer for outward communication and training/education/entertainment.
- Use blink relay to enable him to use cognitively complex computer programs.
- Use partner-assisted scanning and a digital picture book for outward communication.
- Communicate with him using English and American Sign Language.
- Help him practice his reading and writing skills, and his math skills, consulting with the existing senior in-home tutor as required. He is assessed primarily by how he responds to yes/no questions using his eye blink.
Paid training shifts are provided. Shifts are mostly carried out at the family's home in Richmond village, just south of Kanata.
Weekday and weekend shifts run from 8:00A-8:00P (these are often broken up into 8-2, 2-8 or 8-4, 4-8 shifts).
Night shifts are available from 10P-8A the following day.
Parent / Caregiver Contact Information
Name : Myles K Dear
Mobile Phone Number : 613 858 2120
Application Deadline: 2020-08-14
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $20.00-$37.00 per hour
- Casual Dress
- Flexible Schedule
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
We sanitize all surfaces, phones, doorknobs at the start of each shift. Surgical masks and face shields are provided should staff choose to wear them during their shift. Any worker who does not pass a Covid screening test is expected to stay at home.
- special needs caregiving: 1 year (Required)
- CPR (Required)
- driver's license and use of a vehicle (Required)
- Assisting clients with personal hygiene and getting dressed
- Assisting clients with housekeeping or other daily errands
- Providing companionship and emotional support
- Observing and reporting on changes in the health or status of the client
- Taking vitals, height, and weight
- Preparing food and feeding clients
- Maintaining clients' health equipment
- Responding to emergency situations
- Administering medication
- Assisting clients with rehabilitative exercises
- Providing support with academic, social or recreational activities