Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Medicine possesses a strong track record of academic excellence. We attract the best and brightest students, residents, and fellows, because of our excellent faculty and staff, innovative teaching methods and diverse learning experiences in an environment that is supportive and nurturing. Our faculty and trainees are passionate about ensuring the consistent delivery of patient centered care, including safety and quality. We are part of a larger healthcare system that works to deliver the health solutions that people require in London and Southwestern Ontario. The Department of Medicine works closely with academic hospitals, the Southwest Local Health Integrated Network and community physicians and partners to achieve accessible and sustainable healthcare for all.
The Summer Student 2 will provide higher level support in the areas of administrative services and research services. The incumbent will have responsibility for carrying out activities which require some specialization of skills including Pubmed searches, literature reviews, collecting papers and proof reading papers and manuscripts and various online jobs. When possible the incumbent will be responsible for basic laboratory duties including; washing labware, labeling test tubes, preparing general lab solutions, performing some basic laboratory assays as well as asissting graduate students and our technician with basic experiments in the lab. The incumbent will be responsible for providing support to faculty or staff, and for effectively carrying out a variety of tasks in accordance with policies, procedures, and instructions received from their supervisor. The incumbent will take guidance from their supervisor, and work productively and courteously with their work team and other members of the Western community. This position will be located at Lawson Health Research Institute at SJHC
- Must be a student returning to studies in the fall
- Must have completed 1st year in a basic science program and have taken a 1st year chemistry
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- Previous work experience in a similar role and familiarity with Excel and PubMed
- Written and verbal communication skills to express ideas clearly, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience and demonstrate clear handwriting
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Reliable and dependable with the ability to consistently work assigned schedule
- Ability to follow processes and practices with high attention to detail
- Demonstrates integrity and works in accordance with Western¿s policies and procedures
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized work environment
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office, with the ability to learn and use new software programs as required
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Ability to work in a manner that is compliant with confidentiality requirements as applicable
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.