Habitat for Humanity Wood Buffalo (HFHWB) is a social profit organization that builds safe, modest homes sold to low-income families through an affordable mortgage program. Since the wildfire, HFHWB also assists qualified, uninsured and underinsured homeowners rebuild their home lost in the fire (Wildfire Recovery Program-WRP).
HFHWB is seeking a Build Site Lead Hand (BSLH) to oversee the day-to-day construction activities on our build sites. The Build Site Lead Hand is responsible for the supervision of all on-site personnel (including contractors, volunteers, partner families & other HFH staff). They are also responsible for maintaining a positive safety culture on the build site through implementation of the HFH Safety Program, safe work practices, safety talks and a general positive attitude towards site safety.
The HFHWB build program relies heavily on donors & volunteers for success. The Build Site Lead Hand will develop volunteer-friendly work plans to ensure volunteers have every opportunity to learn & grow on our build sites in a safe, positive environment. The successful candidate will not only have exceptional construction skills, but also the ability to transfer skills to others and to create a team atmosphere. The Build Site Lead Hand will be expected to work alongside volunteers, as well as lead them.
- Experienced Journeyman Carpenter
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of new home construction, permitting process, local building codes and energy code
- Experience in all aspects of residential construction- from reading & understanding house plans through to finish work (including: footings & foundations, dampproofing, framing, siding & soffits, insulation & vapour barrier, drywall, painting, flooring, finish work, etc)
- The ability to coordinate multiple build activities at once
- The ability to develop & manage build schedules, work plans
- The ability to manage/maintain on-site tool & build material inventory
- The ability to work well under pressure and to adapt
- Strong planning & organizational skills
- Strong commitment to safety
- Commitment to the supervision & teaching of volunteers & staff
- Commitment to quality workmanship
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Solid understanding of OH&S standards & regulations
- Experience with ICF foundations an asset
- Current Standard First Aid certificate (preferred)
- Valid Driver’s License (required)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $35.00 to $40.00 /hour
- residential construction: 3 years (Required)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
- Alberta Class 5 Operator’s License (Required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR (Preferred)