The Niagara Gateway Information Centre's mission is to educate, inform and showcase the beauty of the Niagara Region to visitors, through our highly trained local tourism counsellor. We serve all 4 Corners of the Niagara Region and represent all 12 municipalities. Our Information Centre Kiosk serves as a vital resource to thousands of annual visitors who rely on our local guides to provide them with knowledgeable guidance as they explore all that the Niagara Region has to offer.
TOURISM COUNSELLOR JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Develop knowledge of local and regional attractions, events, businesses, services, and products
- Welcome visitors in a warm, friendly, professional manner (well-dressed and groomed)
- Encourage visitors to experience aspects of our region
- Set-up displays and brochure racks in an organized, neat and accessible manner
- Manage diverse concerns, interests, and needs of tourists and contacts in a positive manner
- Collect statistics, write reports and maintain routine information and centre cleanliness
- Work on other assigned tasks and special projects as needed
- Well-developed enthusiasm and interest in promoting tourism
- Excellent communication skills and personable image
- Good customer service skills and organizational skills
- Ability to assist visitors in a friendly, cheerful manner
- Interest in developing personal knowledge of the local area and travel experiences
- Knowledge of some attractions, festivals, and events
- Being both a team player and able to work independently and create work during slow times.
- Diploma or working towards Tourism career preferred
- Aptitude for selling, exemplary sales skills and customer-oriented approach
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sales and marketing experience are an asset
- Monetary transaction skills
- Proven research, organizational and time management skills
- Resourcefulness, confidence, and enthusiasm
- Experience in customer service
- Personal travel experience specifically in the local region
- The second language is an asset
- Answer questions and provide information specific to the Niagara region
- Distribute promotional materials
· Promote tourism and sell products
- Encourage new and return visits
- Perform administrative tasks
- Stocking shelves and sell products or merchandise and handle cash transactions.
- Research various destinations, prices, weather conditions, road conditions, board crossings.
- Diagnose the visitor's specifications and wishes and suggest suitable attractions, services, etc.
- Organize travel to destinations, providing maps and directions
- Provide useful travel materials (guides, maps, events information)
- Cold calling for potential leads for kiosk sales.
- Booking Tickets, selling tickets, etc.
- Handling cash and credit transactions.
- Handle unforeseen problems and complaints.
- Update electronic records.
- Light housekeeping/cleaning.
Contract length: 16 weeks
Part-time hours: 17.5 per week
Application deadline: 2021-07-15
Expected start date: 2021-08-02
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $14.25 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
All employees and customers are required to wear a mask all the time.
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (preferred)