Shepherds of Good Hope has received funding from Canada Summer Jobs to hire summer students for 8 weeks at 35 hours per week in our Transitional Shelter Services and St. Andrew’s Residence. These are non-union positions that will start the week of July 20th. The scheduled shifts will be a combination of days and evenings during weekdays and weekends.
POSITION NUMBER: 2020-051
POSITION: Frontline Worker
Shepherds of Good Hope (SGH) is one of the largest not-for-profit organizations dedicated to meeting the needs of homeless and vulnerably-housed individuals in the city of Ottawa. Many individuals who access our programs and services live with trauma, mental health challenges and addictions. A leader in supportive housing and harm-reduction, Shepherds of Good Hope provides around-the-clock, comprehensive services to both women and men in multiple locations across the city of Ottawa. By offering innovative programs and services in a non-judgmental environment, we are creating a community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
- Providing community building and educational opportunities to residents by working with the Program Manager to research, prepare, promote and facilitate activities focused on community resources and access, leisure activities, life skills, healthy nutrition and food preparation, current events etc.
- Offer individual support as needed by assisting with daily living skills, referrals and follow-up, orientating new clients/ residents as needed, and focusing on rebuilding social skills and reducing isolation.
- Assisting and participating in the collection of data and research as directed by the management team.
- It is preferred that candidates have either successfully completed or are enrolled in programs in the field of Social Work and/or Social sciences in either College or University.
- Candidates must be between 18 and 30 years old at start of employment.
- Candidates must be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work according to provincial legislation and regulations.
- International students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
- Candidates must be able to start immediately and work full duration of contract (35 hours a week for the full 8 weeks).
Shepherds of Good Hope is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of our clients, residents, employees and volunteers, including those with disabilities. Please inform if you require accommodation through the hiring process and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Reference ID: 2020-051
Application deadline: 2020-07-12
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $16.01 - $22.00 per hour
- Secondary School (Required)