Position: Greenhouse Grower (Permanent, Full-time)
Reports to: R&D Manager
Please Note: Applicants who are eligible to work in Canada will be considered and anyone outside Canada will not qualify to apply for this job position.
At UP Vertical Farms, our mission is to become one of the largest and most sustainable indoor vertical farm producers of baby leafy greens by 2023, producing the safest, most nutritious, and best tasting salad greens. We specialize in Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) and our hands-free, high density, tech-driven vertical farm puts people and our planet first. It also supports the local economy by producing the most flavorful greens, picked at the peak of freshness, and delivered to the local market with speed and precision. Learn more about our mission at https://UPVerticalFarms.com/.
Reporting to the R&D Manager, the Greenhouse Grower provides a range of horticultural support to the operations at UP Vertical Farms. The Greenhouse Grower will be responsible for carrying out various tasks related to seedlings, plant cultivation, harvesting, sample preparation, conducting visual and environmental checks to ensure product is healthy and meets quality standards, data collection, system maintenance, and innovation in our state-of-the-art vertical farming facility. They will also be cross trained in in-house lab equipment for testing nutrient solutions and finished products for food safety standards. Performs day-to-day cultivation activities; this includes but is not limited to:
- Daily on-going assessment of plant seeding, germination, health, and quality in the lifecycle of the plants
- Carry out filling rafts with medium, seeding, relocation, spacing, and irrigation of plants under controlled environment agriculture (CEA) in R&D room and commercial greenhouse.
- Perform tasks for R&D facilities including seeding trials, sanitation, maintenance, inventory, and fertigation.
- Documenting and reporting any issues in the grow room to upper management
- Daily on-going monitoring, balancing, and calibration of the grow inputs for the plants (nutrients, EC, PH, O2, CO2, O3, etc.)
- Complete daily key operational checklists, including nutrition, fertilizer, oxygen, temperatures, and humidity
- Assist with samples, packaging, and scheduling needed for deliveries to clients from R&D facilities
- Collect and maintain data records relating to crop health and suggest corrective actions, environmental data, trials, and sanitation
- Evaluate system improvement possibilities and implement approved suggestions from R&D manager, other teams, affiliate company teams, and clients
- Collect biological and climatic data to create better formulas and processes
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data throughout the lifecycle of the plants for R&D purposes
- Ensure all grow equipment and machinery in use are in proper operating condition and that all crop hygiene practices are followed
- Keep neat and accurate electronic records and documentation of all data, formulas, and processes
- Achieve work results by good communication practices, establishing priorities, monitoring progress, revising schedules as needed, and resolving problems
- Recognize and respond to plant diseases and pests, and identify best practices for resolving issues
- Operate computerized and other control systems
- Ensure all equipment and machinery are in proper operating condition and that all crop hygiene practices are followed
- Adhere to the Safety Policies, including the use of proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other safety equipment
- Assisting with planning crop and labour schedules
- Assisting with documenting procedures and SOPs
- Collecting data on grow trials and other on-going testing
- Maintaining a safe and tidy work environment in the R&D facility, greenhouse, and office and maintain sanitation protocols and clean and sterilize all equipment and grow areas of R&D facilities
- Carry out clean-in-place procedures and day-to-day maintenance and operation of the grow areas, germination rooms, and ancillary areas of the R&D facilities.
- Organizes and monitors inventory of commercial facility and R&D facility
- Uses ERP and other operational software as relating to duties
- Comply with food safety, worker safety, and Occupational Health & Safety policies
- Performs QA/Food Safety testing in facility lab when QA/Food Safety Coordinator is off
- Assists with data entry
- Notify management when relevant grow supplies are low inventory
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks under specific timelines
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent work ethic and not afraid to get hands dirty.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to make decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs
- Greenhouse Grower Experience is a must.
- Background and education in agriculture/horticulture (preference will be given to candidates with hydroponic experience)
- Fundamental understanding of plant growth and cultivation principles.
- Experience with data collection and record keeping.
- Interest in growing food in modern, innovative ways
- Experience safely handling chemicals or working in a lab setting
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e., Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams, etc.)
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s License
- Familiarity with controlled environment agriculture (CEA) and vertical farming.
- Ability to operate and maintain horticultural equipment and machinery.
- Knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM) practices.
- Experience working with food safety programs and regulations
- Experience with administrative procedures considered an asset
- 8:00am – 4:30pm, 5 days (includes some weekend shifts)
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions
- May be requested to assist the R&D department on-site outside of regular work hours (i.e., evenings, weekends).
- Use of personal vehicle may be required
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Pitt Meadows, BC V3Y 1Z1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person