Shelter Support Staff for COVID 19 Response
Approximately 40 hours weekly average - includes day, night and weekends shifts
3 month contract
Location: Inn Out of the Cold St. Thomas-Elgin, Ontario.
This position may provide support to the Shelter, Day Centre and Pandemic Centre.
Job Description: We at the Inn Out of the Cold need to hire more front line staff as soon as possible to help us during the COVID-19 public health crisis. You are expected to assist in the front line in various capacities including screening, intake and orientation of shelter guests, and much more. All health measures and protection equipment will be well implemented for your safety and protection from the virus. This energetic, friendly Shelter Support Staff member will report to the Executive Director (or designate) and is expected to assist in all aspects of the program at Inn Out of the Cold, St. Thomas – Elgin, where assistance is given to individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Carry out daily operations as needed at the shelter, day centre, and/or pandemic centre, including supervision of set-up and take down of site and light cleaning duties.
- Provide COVID 19 assessment screening daily to all guests, following provided protocol regarding next steps.
- Provide education and awareness around social distancing and best practices regarding COVID 19.
- Provide a reassuring, calm presence in midst of pandemic.
- Work in a collaborative way with other staff, volunteers and agencies providing service to guests.
- Complete intake, orientation, and discharge of guests. Ensure that guests complete all required paperwork and it is entered quickly and efficiently into computer data base.
- Ensure that volunteers and guests are aware of the rules and expectations. Assist in supervision of on-duty volunteers.
- Model and actively promote a positive environment, where every individual is treated with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Ensure that computer records including case notes and communication log are maintained, reflecting accurate, concise and relevant record keeping in order to promote effective communication between staff and enhance service goals.
- Social Service Worker/Community Service Worker diploma or related diploma/degree.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work in high stress environment.
- Ability to work with sensitivity, compassion and effectiveness.
- Ability to work with diverse populations including individuals with low-income, those struggling to acquire and maintain stable housing, minorities, and other members of the community.
- Ability to complete data entry and reports on computer.
This is a contract position. Most shifts are 8-12 hours in length. Applicants must be available at short notice and agreeable to a flexible schedule.
Applicants will be accepted on an ongoing basis as needs allow. Applicants will be considered on a first come basis, based on eligibility criteria above.
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $20.00 /hour