Post-Doctoral position available in green functionalization of bio-based materials
The Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering at the University of Western Ontario (UWO) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow (PDF) position supervised by Professor Ying Zheng.
We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to lead an experimental program aimed at the application of green chemistry to functionalize the surface characteristics of bio-based materials for various applications. Priority will be given to the candidate who has a strong background in organic chemistry, surfactants, and biomass. The ideal candidate will be a creative, hands-on, highly motivated problem solver that is a self-starter.
Qualifications of applicant:
- Strong background in organic chemistry, surfactants, and biomass
- Hands-on skills in chemical modification.
- Experience in nanomaterial production is a plus.
- Expertise in assessment, characterization, and synthesis of materials and bio-based materials.
- Experience with analytical systems such as gas chromatography and mass spectrometry
- Have completed a relevant Ph.D. (e.g., in green chemistry, chemical engineering, material science)
- Be highly motivated, organized, a good communicator (written and verbal).
- Thrive in a team environment.
- Commission experimental set-up for nanomaterial generation and surface modification.
- Design experimental plan to answer specific process development questions
- Demonstrate continuous operation of processes using the experimental set-up integrated with up-stream and down-stream processes
- Provide innovative solutions to experimental issues as they arise
- Oversee day to day laboratory activities
- Mentor students
- Present at national conferences
- Prepare results for publication
- Prepare manuscripts for publications and present their work at national/international conferences.
Duration & Salary:
- This full-time PDF position has an initial 1-year appointment, with the potential for renewal being subject to performance and budgetary approval.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
- The anticipated start date is immediate.
Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
The PDF position will be located at the University of Western Ontario in London Ontario.
· Please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information of 3 references, in one file, addressed to Dr. Ying Zheng.
· All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
· Female applicants are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: From $43,000.00 per year
- Doctoral Degree (preferred)