WeedMD Inc. is the publicly-traded parent company of WeedMD Rx Inc., a federally-licensed producer of cannabis products for both the medical and adult-use markets. The Company owns and operates a 158-acre state-of-the-art greenhouse and outdoor facility located in Strathroy, ON. The Company also operates CX Industries, a wholly-owned subsidiary of WeedMD Inc. CX operates out of the Company’s fully-licensed 26,000 sq. ft. Aylmer, Ontario production facility which specializes in cannabis extraction and processing. WeedMD has a multi-channeled distribution strategy that includes selling directly to medical patients, strategic relationships across the seniors’ market and supply agreements with Shoppers Drug Mart as well as six provincial distribution agencies where WeedMD’s adult-use brand Color Cannabis is sold.
The supervisor is responsible to plan the work, oversee its implementation, monitor, assign tasks, identify hazards and address health and safety concerns brought forward by workers to ensure workers' protection.
The Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Supervisor is also responsible for the performance of specialized horticultural duties involved in the planning, preparation, oversight, and maintenance of IMP procedures. They will ensure adherence to applicable standard operating procedures of WeedMD Rx. Inc. at all times. They will effectively manage the activities of horticulture labourers by organizing and completing the required tasks within specified timelines.
- Manage the integrated pest management according to the IPM master schedule and in cooperation with the direction of the Horticulture Managers
- Lead regularly scheduled IPM applications
- Adhere and record proper spray practices
- Ensure all activities of pest maintenance are completed properly and within the required time frames, i.e. applying control agents, spraying, etc.
- Monitor and report integral pest management concerns
- Apply pesticides and fungicides
- Inspect and identify plants, insects, pests, and diseases as appropriate;
- Recommend corrective actions such as removal of plants or remedial treatments as appropriate.
- Investigate new and existing insect intrusions.
- Identify areas for improvement for insect intrusion and recommended corrective actions.
- Communicates pest pressures and identifies strategies to deal with these pressures to the senior management team
- Perform daily observation of plant health and report any immediate or apparent health concerns (mold/disease, insect, nutrient deficiencies)
- Collect data and report to management regarding daily and weekly findings
- Complete required reports on integrated pest management activities at all stages of the growth cycle as per requirements.
- Seek new innovations or techniques in the field of IPM to include continuing education
- Ensure plant debris is picked up and disposed of according to destruction protocol
- Identify and report room equipment malfunction, i.e. Curtains, burnt-out lightbulbs, etc.
- Submit service requests for any equipment that appears to be malfunctioning, such as curtains, lights, HVAC, fans, etc.
- Ensure to adhere to all policies, procedures and bio and security protocols and enforce these at all time
- Coordinate work, monitor and evaluate the performance of staff; ensuring the timely delivery of feedback and coaching to achieve optimal results and when necessary manage disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Monitor and manage employee’s attendance, including Dayforce payroll/timesheets.
- Take an active role in the hiring process and the training of new and existing employees.
- Obtain authorization from approved personnel prior to overriding any system automation.
- Coordinate with Horticulture Managers and cultivation supervisors for IPM procedures; pesticide application.
- Other duties as assigned
- Post secondary education in horticulture, agriculture or agri business program preferred.
- Experience in an agriculture manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience in the cannabis industry an asset.
- Exterminator license- interior and exterior an asset
- Strong knowledge of beneficial and their intended prey
- Strong knowledge of irrigation and soil compensation, and the use of different types of beneficial.
- Strong organizational skills including effective prioritization and follow-up
- Ability to deal with confidential information with a high degree of diplomacy
- Ability to supervise a team of individuals and address any areas of concern with respect to performance or processes
- Ability to stay focused and complete monotonous or routine tasks.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to foster a healthy, productive work environment.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft office suite.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Able to effectively communicate with all types of staff, including laborers, technical, professional, and management.
- Perform calculations and operations for IPM application ratings (Conversions, percentages, rates, etc.)
- Capable of lifting 50 lbs. and the ability to work in humid greenhouse conditions.
- Flexible working hours; weekdays, weekends or afternoons depending on business schedule.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Overtime as required
WeedMD thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, WeedMD will accommodate all applicants with disabilities to the point of undue hardship during the recruitment and hiring process. Accommodation will be provided upon request and in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. WeedMD will work cooperatively, and in a spirit of respect, with all partners in the accommodation process.
WeedMD is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status (including single status), gender identity, gender expression, receipt of public assistance (in housing only), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) or sexual orientation.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- supervisor: 1 year (Preferred)
- Cannabis: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)