POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN
Applications are invited for a post-doctoral research position to support clinical quality improvement work and
clinical research in the area of liver cirrhosis conducted by investigators Dr. Puneeta Tandon and Michelle
Carbonneau, NP through the Division of Gastroenterology at the University of Alberta.
This quality improvement research project aims to improve the quality of care in patients with liver cirrhosis
using best practice support for medical and broader health needs including optimization of cirrhosis
management, medication reconciliation, addiction support and outpatient monitoring as well as optimization
of home-hospital-home transitions.
This position will be a ful l - t ime hire subject to performance and grant funding. This is available for a
period of 1 year, extendable to 2 years subject to grant funding. The successful candidate will receive a
salary of $45,000 inclusive of extended health benefits. They will also receive university office space, use of
appropriate computational services and full access to university libraries.
Duties and responsibilities shall include:
Planning, coordination and execution of quality improvement work and research activities, including (but not
limited to) organizing team meetings, literature reviews, protocol and ethics development and submission,
development of patient and provider educational materials and pathways, data and sample collection,
participant recruitment and follow-up, data analysis, manuscript preparation and co-supervision of graduate
- PhD or PhD equivalent in health services research, medicine, nursing, epidemiology or a related field.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to work with a high degree of independence and initiative.
- Experience in quality improvement work and the design of patient and provider educational materials and
pathways is preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, & PowerPoint),
RedCap, SPSS and Internet skills is preferred.
- Experience in qualitative methodology – focus groups and one-on-one interviews is preferred.
- Experience in navigating the University of Alberta’s research systems preferred. Previous contact
with patients through booking and counseling an asset.
- Prior experience handling and managing human specimens an asset.
- Prior experience in project management an asset.
- Prior experience in Gastroenterology within a hospital environment an asset.
Forward your cover letter, CV, a relevant manuscript you have written as lead author and contact information for
three references to:
Dr. Puneeta Tandon
Position open until filled
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications
from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit; members of visible minority
groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all
those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.