Position Title: Full-Time Research Assistant (35 hours/week)
Position Type: 1 year with the possibility of renewal for 3 years
Start Date: April 29, 2019
Location: Centre for Research in Aging, Donald Berman Maimonides Geriatric Centre,
5795 Avenue Caldwell, Montreal, Quebec, H4W 1W3
Job Summary: Under the direction of Dr. Machelle Wilchesky (Principal Investigator) and the Project Coordinator, performs duties associated with data collection for a study funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). This cluster-randomized trial will test the efficacy of a new multicomponent delirium prevention program in reducing the incidence, frequency, duration, and severity of delirium in frail elderly long-term care patients with dementia.
Duties, Responsibilities, and Requirements:
- Contact, recruit, and schedule meetings with study participants (long-term care patients and staff);
- Perform weekly face-to-face delirium incidence and severity assessments using standardized instruments;
- Perform Activities of Daily Life assessments with participants, as needed;
- Commit to a strict adherence to the study protocol;
- Participate in weekly team meetings;
- Occasionally perform secretarial duties such as typing/printing/scanning/filing routine documents;
- Use equipment such as a personal computer, tablet, printer, photocopier and fax machine.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Professional Characteristics:
- Strong social and interpersonal skills and ability to build rapport and communicate with elderly individuals with dementia (both compassionately and professionally);
- Clinical assessment or interviewing experience;
- Bilingualism (English and French, verbal);
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in order to deliver expected results and adhere to study timelines.
- Must be available to commute and collect data at different long-term care facilities on the island of Montreal.
- Consistent access to a car and a current, valid driver’s license is an asset.
- Diploma of College Studies (Diplôme d'études collégiales – DEC)
- Two (2) years of research-related or other relevant work experience;
- Experience in client services (i.e. as a call center agent) is an asset.
- Experience working with elderly patients or other vulnerable populations is an asset.
- Commensurate with experience and the policies of McGill University. Salary will range from $16.00 to $22.00 per hour.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.00 to $22.00 /hour
- research or customer service: 2 years (Preferred)
- DCS / DEC (Required)
- French (Required)
- English (Required)