Lower Nicola Indian Band
Director of Finance and Tax Administration
Job Title: Director of Finance and Tax Administration
Department: Finance & Tax Administration
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director of Finance oversees all finance and accounting systems and functions for the Lower Nicola Indian Band Administration, recommends and implements approved finance and accounting policies, and develops and implements systems and procedures in order to ensure complete, accurate and timely financial reporting, and to ensure the smooth operations of the Finance Department. The Director of Finance also ensures that the LNIB’s financial strategies align with the overall strategy, and advises the Executive Director and Council with respect to financial, risk management and fiduciary matters in order to ensure the overall financial and organizational health of the LNIB Administration.
1. Participates in strategic plan
2. Performs a high-level review of the LNIB Administration operations and makes strategic analysis and commendations to the Executive Director and the Council with respect to the best application of financial and physical assets in order to balance the attainment of appropriate profits, the minimization of liabilities and the management of appropriate risks.
3. Provide guidance to LNIB Finance staff to ensure all accounting and financial recording and reporting is complete, accurate and timely.
4. Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and special reports for the Executive Director, and for presentation to the Council, and presents the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to the Council after sharing the information with the Executive Director.
5. Prepares financial reports, and financial components of reports, as requested for by the Council, Committee of Council and/or Community; presents these reports as required.
6. Reviews and monitors compliance with agreements and funding arrangements entered into by the LNIB; alerts the Executive Director with respect to issues or problems with non-compliance.
7. Monitors compliance with the LNIB's financial policies and laws, and with applicable industry standards, and alerts the Executive Director regarding any issues or problems.
8. Ensures the needs of the clients of the Finance department are appropriately met.
9. Working with managers and staff, oversees the preparation of the annual budgets
10. Effective oversight of expenditures within the Consolidated budget.
Required Min Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in accounting supplemented by a CPA designation in good and current standing.
- Education and certification or extensive background/experience in First Nations Taxation
- At least 5 years' experience in a senior accounting and finance role, ideally in a First Nations organization.
- Previous experience dealing with federal and provincial agencies.
- Strong budgeting skills.
- Contract review experience.
- Demonstrated success in building and leading teams.
- Exhibits strong personal leadership.
Apply at: Deadline to apply: 26th June 2020
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter complete with references, specifying the position you are applying for. Complete Job Description can be obtained by emailing
HR at LNIB.net
Thanks to all who apply, only qualified candidates will be considered.
- Work from home opportunities
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Flexible working hours
- Dental care
- RRSP Match
- Casual dress
- Education reimbursement
- On-site parking
Reference ID: 17096
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $82,656.00 to $120,000.00 /year
- Taxation: 5 years (Preferred)
- Finance: 5 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)