You are passionate about continuous improvement. You believe that better results are achieved through collaboration. Quality is first in your everyday work. When you say you are going to do something, you do it. Your curiosity makes you dig deep into the numbers to understand the story they tell and use that story to advise on how the future can be better.
Sound like you? Us too! The Qualitree team holds these values close and work hard to live them out every day. And we are looking for a Business Controller to join us. We partner together with our customers - growers across North America - to supply quality plants. Our customers’ success is our success. Join us on our journey.
The Business Controller position and responsibilities play an integral role in Qualitree’s success by ensuring financial accuracy as well as working with various forms of business intelligence to become a trusted advisor within the company. This will require you to combine your hard skills in finance and accounting, data analysis, and presentation with soft skills like communication, analytical thinking and problem solving will enable you to collaborate with colleagues across the departments to enable business-driven short and long-term decisions. The Business Controller will be an integral part of the management team and responsible for advising on and completion of all financial aspects of the company.
Duties and responsibilities
Cash Flow Management:
- Monitor weekly cash flow projections and report cash position to management every week.
- Manage the timing of cash disbursements to ensure the company operates within established credit facilities.
- Manage company Foreign Exchange to reduce transaction and economic risk.
- Make recommendations to management to improve cash flow.
- Prepare/Review Accounts Receivable reports and work with division receivable/collections staff to ensure compliance with Credit & Collection Policy.
Accounting and Reporting Functions:
- Complete necessary month-end closing transactions.
- Responsible to assure the reconciliation of Balance Sheet accounts.
- Develop, improve, and issue timely monthly consolidated financial records for CEO and ownership review
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Prepare and manage annual corporate budgets and forecasts by establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data
- Operational, financial and equipment budgeting and planning
- Prepare monthly forecast updates, primarily by working closely with department heads in forecasting their department’s overheads.
- Oversee year-end procedures for all related companies, preparation of working papers, and answering external auditor inquiries
- Assuring compliance with federal and provincial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions
- Manage bank reconciliations, loan schedules, management fees, etc.
- Manage company payroll and compiles payroll information by managing payroll preparation, completing reports, and maintaining records.
- Manages the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the Administration/Accounting team including interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, directing work, rewarding, disciplining employees, performance reviews, and addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Work with all staff to close off monthly billing, statements, etc.
- Prepare pricing structures and spreadsheet templates for use in pricing calculations.
- Develop and manage the product costing process to ensure product profitability.
- Assist management with project costing as required.
- Assist management with ad hoc data downloads, trend charts etc. as required to enable data-driven business decisions
- Conducts research, creates financial models, and defines appropriate financial measures
- Quantifies opportunities and risks and recommends alternatives.
- Provides strategic and tactical recommendations to senior management
- Monitor internal controls of the company and recommend proactive changes
- Prepare monthly project margin reports for the management’s review.
- Coordinate company business with outside audit firms(s), banks and lessors, casualty/liability insurance agent(s), credit card companies, and collection agencies
- Advise the CEO on the financial aspect of new business opportunities, equipment purchases, etc.
- Make recommendations to the management team to promote efficiency and manage financial responsibility in an ethical manner
- Assist with ERP system implementations
- Special projects as required.
- A minimum of five years’ experience, including two years of supervisory responsibility. Controller or equivalent experience highly desirable.
- Corporate accounting experience, including year-end processes, overheads, and payroll.
- Experience in forecasting and budgeting.
- Ability to see the big picture while focusing on the process and procedures necessary to produce deliverables.
- Superior follow up, time management and project management skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise a staff/team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills across all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to lead in a fast-paced environment and during accompanying moments of joy, conflict, stress, and crisis.
Skills and Qualifications
- Requires strong computer skills. Experience in with Google G Suites, Microsoft Office products an asset
- Experience in Sage and Accounting Seed, Salesforce an asset
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze complex data sets
- Friendly, outgoing, and able to work well with others – a team player
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively present information in both technical and non-technical terms
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong organizational skills coupled with the ability to multitask, prioritize and delegate
- Service-oriented and capable of communicating with employees of all levels
- Ability to working in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment and to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- High level of integrity, ethics, and professionalism
Education, Training and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in Business Administration or Accounting/Finance
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation
- A recognized accounting designation would be an asset but is not mandatory.
- Valid BC Driver’s license
- Report directly to the CEO
- Meet weekly to review goals and set objectives with timely prep completed
- Standard work hours as per company schedule
- Seasonal demands may require you to work longer hours during certain times of the year
- It is essential to be able to function well in a team setting
- Observe and respect the core values of the company http://www.qualitree.com/our-company/#Our-Values
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent