The City of Quinte West is situated on the shores of the beautiful Bay of Quinte. We are located directly along the Highway 401 corridor approximately 1.5 hours east of Toronto and 2.5 hours west of Ottawa. Over 43,000 people make Quinte West home.
Quinte West’s natural setting, with its attractive scenic backdrop of rolling hills, rich farmland and clean waterways, creates a healthy environment for working, living, and raising a family. Safe, well-planned neighbourhoods and plenty of recreational activities make Quinte West the ideal place to visit or call “home”.
Office of the Chief Administrative Officer
Manager of Human Resources
Purpose and Scope:
The Crossing Guard is responsible for the safe passage of people (especially students/children) at designated traffic crossings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will:
- Direct and guide students across streets during the school year, stopping traffic as required, in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Corporation guidelines on designated roadways.
- Direct traffic movement using signs and hand signals.
- Relay information in a clear and concise manner while handling potentially stressful situations.
- Communicate crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
- Obey all regulations to ensure the safe crossing of school children.
- Record licence plates of vehicles disregarding traffic signals and report infractions to appropriate authorities.
- Report the unsafe behaviour of children to school officials or to your Supervisor.
- Report to your crossing on time and stay for the entire scheduled shift. If unable to work, contact your Supervisor as early as possible.
- Dress neatly and wear the assigned attire ensuring high visibility and recognition.
- Be courteous to students and other pedestrians using the crosswalk and motorists.
- Be attentive and alert while on duty.
- Note any unusual conditions at your crosswalk before students arrive. (Buildup of ice and snow, traffic lights out, signs blocking vision, construction, etc.)
- Report problems and unsafe conditions to the Supervisor as soon as possible.
Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will have direct contact with:
Supervisor of Crossing Guards, Heath, Safety and Employee
Services Officer, Human Resources Generalist, Manager of Human
Ontario Provincial Police Community Policing Officer, general public, students.
The position will require:
- Enthusiastic and personable attitude.
- Possess good observation skills.
- Interaction with children and the general public in a positive manner.
- Positive customer service skills.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Access to a reliable mode of transportation to crossing guard locations.
- A satisfactory vulnerable sector check.
No previous experience is necessary.
Ability to make quick and accurate decisions while keeping the children safe at all times.
- Regular exposure to outside elements.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process.