Graphic Designer/Data Visualization Specialist
- Annual salary range: CA$50,000 - $70,000
- Start date: as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- Toronto-based, Hybrid office
Our amazing team is expanding!
At Sandbox we are a multidisciplinary team at the intersection of media, design and technology and have a passion for learning. We work hard and venture into new territory to deliver beautiful, out-of-the-box digital media and learning products. We strive to make a difference for clients who work to improve lives on a global scale, from UNICEF to the World Health Organization, from TEDx to the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research.
What’s in it for you?
At Sandbox you’ll get to:
- Join a small and mighty team of filmmakers, designers, technologists, educators, researchers, and operational maestros who share knowledge and grow together
- Work in a dynamic agency environment with a lot of autonomy and plenty of opportunity to exercise your creativity on client-driven and homegrown products
- Stretch your skills and have opportunities for a range of career pathways, whether you love media, technology, learning or all of them
- Use your skills to make a difference, whether you’re interested in improving education, health, the economy, our communities or the environment
- Enjoy a flexible work environment with a hybrid office, four weeks of vacation, health and dental benefits, attractive salary progression and professional development opportunities
We are looking for a highly creative and collaborative Graphic Designer/Data Visualization Specialist to work on a portfolio of projects, in collaboration with project teams and under the guidance of a Project Lead. Projects are diverse, ranging from print and digital publications to online learning modules, static and interactive data visualizations, interactive websites and mobile applications. Specifically, the role involves:
Conceptualize and implement client-ready design outputs (50%)
- Identify key documentation (e.g. brand guidelines) and questions that require clarification from Sandbox management, team members and the client team that will inform the design concept and approach
- Initiate and conduct design research, including identifying visual inspirations/references using a range of tools, including artificial intelligence.
- Create various types of design outputs for the purpose of agreeing on visual direction with Sandbox management and clients. These could include moodboards, design options, styleframes, proof of concept documents, etc.
- Develop design outputs in accordance to agreed visual direction with the highest standard of creativity, quality and efficiency, using a range of software relevant to the desired output
- Package and deliver design outputs in the requested formats
- Perform quality assurance procedures to ensure full accuracy of text, data and adherence to client specifications for design output
- Meticulously name and organize design files to ensure smooth work processes and information retrieval
Collaborate with internal and external team members (20%)
- Collaborate closely with the design, media and learning team members to understand client objectives, project needs and scope of work, exchange ideas and seek advice, and overall contribute to the design edge of Sandbox projects
- Collaborate with the Production Manager to conduct time estimates for the completion of different type of design work, proactively identify ideas and solutions when presented with new challenges (e.g. new type of design work, scope of work challenges, etc)
- Regularly communicate with web developers and other technical teams, using project management software to ensure all design is developed on time and to a high quality standard
- Regularly inform the Project Lead of progress, issues, and anticipated needs
Contribute to Sandbox’s design edge (20%)
- Contribute to the development of a Sandbox design playbook, documenting Sandbox’s unique design eye. Examples of sites that we find inspirational include:https://www.visualcapitalist.com/
- Mentor junior designers and together with the design team, help identify designers with specific expertise, in particular illustration and motion design
Participate in client meetings as needed (10%)
- Provide input into client meetings from the design perspective in collaboration with the Project Lead(s) responsible for particular projects and the Production Manager
- Meticulously document client input and translate client objectives and needs into design concepts
What You Bring to the Table
- 3 to 7 years of experience completing graphic design and data visualization projects from concept to completion
- A strong design portfolio demonstrating technical skill and creativity in graphic design and data visualization, a keen instinct for visual storytelling and the visualization of complex information
- You are at ease with analyzing, manipulating and presenting data in different static and dynamic ways to enhance the audience’s understanding
- You are a motivated and communicative team player, and a goal-oriented self-starter who can work independently in order to meet milestones and achieve high quality work
- You are a proficient user of design software such as Figma, Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Sketch, digital publishing standards
- You are a proficient and informed user of generative AI tools in the field of design and data visualization (e.g for graphic design: Foto, Jasper AI, Midjourney, Uizard, Adobe Firefly, Canva, VanceAI, Khroma; data visualization: Tableau, Looker, Sisense, Domo, Qlik sense, Zoho)
- You have experience working with technical teams, including UX/UI designers and web developers
- You have a university degree, college diploma or certification in computer science, data science, statistics, graphic design, data visualization, or comparable experience
Bonus if you…
- Have experience with UX/UI
- Have skills in illustration
- Have skills in motion design
- Know and have implemented web accessibility standards
Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed above. We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and are excited about this opportunity, then we want to hear from you!
The Hiring Process
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only individuals invited to an interview will be contacted. The process will involve the following steps:
- Step 1: Submit your CV, cover letter, design portfolio, and answer screening questions on Indeed.
- Step 2: Online skills assessment
- Step 3: Interview with Sandbox hiring manager(s)
- Step 4: Interview with Sandbox hiring manager(s) and CEO/Executive Producer
- Step 5: References
- Step 6: Offer
The offices of Sandbox Inc. are located in downtown Toronto, just south of Trinity Bellwoods park. Currently, our team operates on a hybrid office model with some days at the office and some days at home.
Thanks for your interest and we look forward to meeting you!
The Sandbox team
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00-$70,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Have you submitted your resume, cover letter and design portfolio (please indicate the role you played in the design of each sample)?
- What educational credentials relevant to the role do you have?
- Please share a portfolio of graphic design and interactive data visualizations you created.
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON