Position: Casual On-Call Education Assistants
Posting Number: 23-EA-053
Location: Learning Support Services
FTE: 0.000-FTE MON. - FRI.
ON-CALL AS REQUIRED
Start Date: ASAP
Application Deadline: 4:00 PM, Friday, May 31, 2024
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the vacancies are filled or until May 31, 2024, and will be reviewed as they are received.
Applications are invited for Casual On-Call Education Assistants, to be employed on an on-call basis when the regular Education Assistants are absent due to illness or other reasons, while school is in session, effective as soon as possible after the posting closes.
In applying for this position, you are indicating that you are willing to work full days, at all worksites, Monday to Friday, as needed.
Education Assistants work in a variety of school and community settings under the direction of a certified teacher.
RESPONSIBILITIES include assisting in any of the following:
1) implementation of a student's individual educational plan;
2) implementation of a personal care plan for physically or mentally challenged students including but not limited to: toileting and/or catheterization, mobility training, lifting, seizure management, feeding, personal hygiene and supervision of medication;
3) implementation of behavioural management plans;
4) the social, vocational, and academic training of individuals or groups;
5) materials preparation;
6) transportation of students to various program activities;
7) protecting and respecting the confidentiality of information; and
8) will be expected to directly supervise students in the pool as part of the swim program.
QUALIFICATIONS will include a high school diploma, a two-year post-secondary diploma in Special Education (or relevant discipline) or one-year relevant post-secondary education (approximately 700 to 1100 hours of instruction) at a recognized post-secondary institution, combined with one year relevant experience.
The successful applicant will possess the following SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1) excellent reading, writing and verbal communication skills;
2) demonstrated ability and knowledge of strategies to work successfully with students with mental, physical, learning and/or behavioural challenges;
3) ability to work harmoniously as a member of an inter-disciplinary team of professionals and para-professionals;
4) computer literacy and experience with technological assists, such as Kurzweill, Minspeak and Dragon Naturally
The successful applicants may be required to demonstrate that they are capable of performing the physical requirements of the position and to certify that they have no known pre-existing medical conditions which would prevent them from performing their duties.
The rate of pay for this position is in accordance with the current collective agreement with the Canadian Union of
Public Employees, Local 723. Hours of work will be determined by the needs of the student or students.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those applicants selected for further discussion will be contacted or acknowledged. The successful candidate(s) will be required to complete a criminal record check.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $30.15 per hour
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Campbell River, BC V9W 3P2: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person