Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community. Our integrated Team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in serving the community. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research-intensive universities worldwide.
The Technology Support Specialist will provide first-level technical support to the departments of Facilities Management (FM), acting as a resource for troubleshooting and support to hardware and software on desktop platforms, personal communication devices such as cell phones and FM Radios, and mobile devices such as tablets and laptops. The incumbent will act as a first point of contact and ensure users have their technical issues resolved through the provision of first level support and the management and monitoring of various servers within FM. The Technology Support Specialist will be responsible for hardware support for virtual desktops, and will act as a liaison to ensure effective and timely client communication, and to ensure that appropriate resources are solicited to support the client’s needs.
- College Diploma in an Information Technology field with a focus in hardware support
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Sciences or related field, Microsoft, Oracle and/or other data or project management related certifications is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 2 years’ experience providing technical support and client service
- Experience supporting organizational desktops and providing hardware support with workstations, laptops, printers, various communications devices and networks
- Experience supporting cell phones and mobile devices
- Experience providing technical support and service in an academic, distributed and decentralized environment is preferred
- Familiarity with system administration, including computer networks, operating systems, and applications software
- Familiarity with project management tools and resources
- Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
- Communication skills to describe technical concepts effectively to both novice and sophisticated users
- Communication skills to write clearly, and adapt communication style and content for intended audiences in a professional manner
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate procedural documentation
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Ability to work independently and maintain direction and focus through proactive planning and organized approaches to work
- Computer skills with the ability to creatively use and integrate technology to improve quality and productivity
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Multi-tasking skills to prioritize and consistently produce high-quality work within deadlines
- Ability to interact professionally with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the University community
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.