Are you inspired to get both adults and kids out on the ocean? To problem solve and get to know all the kids at camp this summer in the process? The Lifeguard supervises all swimming and boating activities and is responsible for the safe operation of the waterfront for all age groups. Every day is a day on the beach in this position! An enthusiasm for teaching kids how to paddle and play in the ocean is a must. With guidance from Waterfront Coordinator, the Lifeguard makes magic happen, from organizing swim tests to leading kayaking in the bay! After dinner come play in all other areas of camp magic. Children loving seeing the lifeguards perform at campfire, or help out making arts and crafts.
Fircom’s extraordinary ability to form community and a sense of belonging for all members is what sets us apart among summer camps. We ask, how do we allow every camper to know they are valued and feel that they belong? Each week at camp is one answer to this question. Our stunning island location on the unceded and ancestral Squamish land of Chá7elkwnech (Gambier Island) also allows us to focus on nourishing each person through an every growing relationship with the land. The ocean, our farm, and the forest are all teachers and playgrounds where campers create experiences to grow on every summer. Camp Fircom welcomes campers from all faiths and backgrounds, actively models respect for the earth, and focuses on outdoor education, sustainable agriculture, ocean recreation, art programming, and stewardship of the land.
Term: Summer camp season: June 7 – 9, July 2 – 5 and July 14 – August 16.
Wage: $120 per day. In addition water taxi fare, food, and accommodation Mon – Fri are provided
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in 100% of a seven day comprehensive staff training prior to the beginning of camp
- Become familiar with and help implement all BCCA waterfront accreditation standards
- Communicate clearly and effectively with staff, campers & parents with regard to safety rules, boating instructions, and potential hazards
- Lead open swim as well as kayak/canoe/SUP activity blocks for usually 12 participants and 2 counsellors
- Fill in for counsellors if required
- Be sensitive to, and strive toward, fulfilling the mission and values of Camp Fircom
- Other duties as required (e.g. helping with campfire, camp wide organizational support)
- Develop a working knowledge of Camp Fircom’s Staff Manual and Policy and Procedure Manual
- Understand Camp Fircom’s Emergency Procedures and be prepared for emergencies should they arise
- Specifically be prepared to respond to and assist in directing other staff and participants in the event of a waterfront emergency
- Take ownership for the safety of campers and fellow staff and actively manage risk
Reporting and Evaluations
- Lifeguards report to the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Manager
- Direct supervision is from the Waterfront Coordinator who will lead a goal setting and evaluation process
Required Certifications and Experience
- Must be at least 19 years of age
- National Lifeguard award (eg. Pool, Waterpark, or Waterfront) by the Lifesaving Society
- One year previous experience working as a lifeguard in a pool or camp waterfront
- Introductory certification in kayak and/or canoe/big canoe from Paddle Canada or RCABC
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Hold valid certification for First Aid & CPR-C
- Proven leadership ability to guide and motivate campers, staff, and volunteers, especially participants who are trying something new and may have very little previous experience.
Skills Considered an Asset
- OFA II/Wilderness First Aid
- RCABC tandem/ocean/big canoe, or Paddle Canada kayak/canoe
- Musical/Dance/Drama/Visual Art skills (ex. Play guitar)
- Knowledge of First Nations history of the Howe Sound/Vancouver area
- Knowledge of the local ocean ecosystems
- Fluency in a second language
To apply please visit https://www.fircom.ca/join-us, submit your online application and upload your resume! Direct questions to marissa (at) fircom (dot) com
Application closes Feb 17 2019. We appreciate all applications, and only those selected for the group interview on Sat Feb 23 will be contacted.
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $120.00 /day
- lifeguarding: 1 year (Preferred)
- NS Lifeguard (Pool or Waterfront) (Required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C (Required)