*******Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted through Job Boards will not be accepted.***********
The scope of responsibility follows the lifecycle of an International Trent student, from acceptance to graduation. Reporting to the Vice President, Trent International, the International Student Program Assistant (ISPA) supports student success, retention, and wellness through delivering meaningful, engaging, and culturally appropriate programming. The position supports all areas of the Trent International, with a focus on Student Services.
Working as part of the Trent International team, the ISPA will have key role in developing a calendar of workshops and events for international students, led by the International Student Advisor, ISPA and on- and off-campus partners. Under the direction of the International Student Advisor, the ISPA leads a team of student staff and volunteers to develop multimedia and peer-to-peer support for the global community at Trent. The ISPA will plan, promote, deliver and host events. Key programming includes but is not limited to income tax workshops, scam prevention awareness, life in Canada, graduating student workshops, Global Ambassador pre-arrival support, and new student orientation.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Peterborough campus. The incumbent provides cross-cultural communication expertise to all campuses. They will facilitate regular communication and collaboration with Colleges and departments at the Peterborough and Durham campuses, as well as with external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
1. Assists in the recruitment and training of student leaders including Global Ambassadors and Cultural Assistant Orientation Leaders;
2. Contributes to the planning and delivery of workshops which meet the unique needs of international students, including transition support
3. Promotes mental health wellness through developing and implementing an international student wellness strategy. This will include developing and leading workshops and education campaigns.
4. Develops a communication strategy and calendar in order to ensure that all international student-specific programing is promoted and followed-up on to its target audience(s).
5. Fosters collaborative relationships between Trent International and on- and off-campus partners;
6. Strengthens the relationship between Trent International and the international student community through the coordination of engaging programming and events;
7. Support initiatives that connect international students with domestic students ie. Cultural celebrations, TCSA events, College programming;
8. Communicates regularly with relevant student groups such as TISA, Regional Groups, WUSC, TCSA, College Principals;
9. Represents Trent International on relevant committees (CASSC, Food Services Working Group) to ensure that international students’ needs are reflected in cross-campus planning;
10. Assist in the development of a cross-cultural training program for both staff and a student’s co-curricular record;
11. Monitors and reports on projects’ successes and challenges;
12. Provides logistical support for Trent International events;
· Bachelor’s Degree, College Diploma (3 years) related experience
· Two years of related work experience
· Excellent organizational skills
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work cooperatively in a variety of setting
· Must be available to work some evenings and weekends as required (TIO takes place on Labour Day weekend and in early January)
· Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as web-based communications and social networking tools
· Proven ability to work on multiple tasks and determine priorities in a busy, fast growing, multi-campus environment
· Proven ability to work effectively in a diverse team environment
· Ability to motivate volunteers
· Fluency in another language preferred
Reference ID: A-375
Contract length: 12 months
Application deadline: 2020-05-28
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $27.14 to $32.05 /hour