July 8, 2020
About the Senate
The Senate plays a unique role in shaping our country's democracy. As members of the upper house of Parliament, senators examine legislation, study public policy, champion causes and conduct interparliamentary diplomacy.
As a workplace, the Senate is composed of dynamic people representing our nation's diverse talents, backgrounds and perspectives. Build and advance your career by joining a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to excellence in support of senators and the institution.
How will you contribute?
The Writer collaborates with other members of the Communications Directorate to deliver content across multiple platforms and formats, to drive engagement and positive audience/client behavior. The incumbent assists in providing advice for content development strategies, plans and products, and for their optimization across all communications channels.
The incumbent emphasizes brand and language consistency, while responding to the needs of senators, committees and the Senate as a whole.
The Writer also contributes to media outreach strategies.
The general public to staff one 12-month temporary (Full time) position with possibility of extension in the Communications Directorate.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a writer;
- Experience with storytelling techniques on multiple and emerging platforms;
- Experience working in a deadline-driven environment;
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, methods and industry best practices associated with writing and editing branded content;
- Knowledge of how to write for different targeted audiences and different platforms (web, reports, op-ed, news releases, speaking points);
- Knowledge of the Canadian media landscape;
- Ability to explain complex topics in plain language;
- Ability to take strong photos and video;
- Strong proofreading skills and familiarity with style guides;
- Sound journalism/editorial judgment (tells stories that matter);
- Experience developing content for infographics for specialized audiences would be considered as an asset;
- Knowledge of Parliament and the Canadian political landscape would be considered as an asset.
English Reading Comprehension:
English Written Expression:
English Oral Proficiency:
French Reading Comprehension:
French Written Expression:
French Oral Proficiency:
Strong writing skills
Teamwork and cooperation
The Senate of Canada is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive workplace where all employees are provided full and equal access to employment, development, and advancement opportunities.
Conditions of Employment
Candidates must consent to supply personal information and obtain a security accreditation in order to be eligible for appointment.
How to apply
Alternative selection tool methods and/or reasonable accommodation for special needs are available upon request.
The use of masculine gender in the text includes feminine and is used without discrimination.
Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required. You must consent to receiving e-mails from our system in your online profile.
The Senate of Canada reserves the right to retain a determined number of candidates who best meet the essential requirements of the position.
The Senate of Canada is a separate and distinct employer from the federal public service and is not subject to the Public Service Employment Act.
We thank all those who apply to this selection process.
The posting closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on the closing date stated above.