Western Forest Products (WFP) is currently seeking a Maintenance Superintendent for our Chemainus Sawmill located in Chemainus, BC.
The Superintendent, Maintenance is responsible for providing day to day direction and assistance to the Maintenance team in order to meet assigned objectives. Working closely with the Production team, the Superintendent, Maintenance is responsible for the organization and execution of corrective and preventative maintenance activities with the overall objective to drive improved equipment reliability and reduced overall maintenance costs.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Safety and Environmental Performance
- Provide leadership in safety and environmental stewardship by demonstrating and ensuring the adherence to company safety and sustainability processes and procedures.
- Supports the interpretation of financial data and analytics to identify cost saving opportunities.
- Support the analysis of downtime reports and other relevant metrics, identifies opportunities. Works with the Maintenance Planners to develop actions plans to increase efficiencies and equipment reliability.
- Provide leadership and direction to continuously improve safety by leading daily toolbox meetings as well as monthly safety meetings.
- Supporting and promoting company Safety Management Systems.
- Closely work alongside your safety advisor on key safety initiatives and maintain crew training as per requirements.
- Accurately and timely incident investigations performed on time with overarching end goal of discovering route cause and corrective actions.
- Responsible for getting monthly environmental & weekly safety inspections.
- Executes maintenance schedules and processes that are cost effective and increase the availability as well as maximize the operational life of equipment.
- Supervises all maintenance activities and supports capital project cost management and delivery schedules.
- Promotes pro-active maintenance as well as critical repairs to enable equipment in the field to determine overall operating performance.
- Day-to-day balancing of planning maintenance as well as critical repairs to enable equipment productivity and minimize downtime.
- Optimizes parts availability in the warehouse to minimize equipment downtime while balancing economic maintenance inventory management.
- Makes certain equipment repairs meet manufacturer’s specifications, WorkSafe BC regulations and/or Company Standards.
- Stay abreast of industry innovations and trends in safety and environmental performance and new technology or equipment to improve company margins.
- Daily entry to Computerized Maintenance Systems (CMMS) including creating “break down” maintenance work orders, data entry and closing work orders.
WHO YOU ARE:
Education and Experience
- 10 plus years of experience working in an industrial maintenance department, preferably in forestry or similar heavy industry.
- Millwright TQ with Inter-Provincial endorsement preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience supervising and managing staff.
Skills, Knowledge and Require Competencies
- Commitment to Westerns core values of personal safety, sustainable management, and environmental stewardship.
- Comprehensive knowledge of sawmill or other heavy industry maintenance and repair.
- Strong project management skills.
- Understanding of financial reports and forecasting.
- High level of integrity and professionalism.
- Ability to motivate and engage hourly employees to perform at a higher standard.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving and logical thinking skills.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement mindset.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, proficiency in the use of Project Management as week as CMMS is desired.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
We value our employees and offer a comprehensive total rewards package, which includes competitive compensation with a pay-for-performance philosophy, employer-paid benefits, pension and other programs designed to support our employees and meet their needs. If you invest your time and talents in our company, we will invest in you.
We strive to support our people in reaching their full potential. We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance, and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees. For more information about our company and culture please visit our website westernforest.com.
Job Type: Full-time
- Supervisor: 5 years (Preferred)