With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
The Department of Physiology and Pharmacology is the largest basic medical science department within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. Our Department has award-winning teachers who are committed to delivering high-quality and innovative education at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. We have a strong focus on research excellence with faculty members recognized internationally for their achievements. A distinctive strength of our Department and disciplines is our comprehensive focus on biological processes from the cellular-molecular level to the integrative-systems level, and on the effects of drugs and environmental agents on these processes.
The Technical/Research Support 2 will work in collaboration with principal investigators, staff, and students, and have responsibilities for conducting experiments and presenting the results. The incumbent will oversee students, assist with laboratory or research centre maintenance, order supplies, and ensure safety standards are met. The incumbent will set up and conduct tests according to procedures, maintain records, and analyze, summarize and compile data and results for dissemination.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related field
Skills, Abilities & Expertise:
- 2 years' work experience supporting research in a related technical field
- Familiarity with techniques for updating, managing and extracting data from a research database
- Familiarity with University research policies and practices preferred
- Familiarity with experimental design and analysis
- Verbal and written communication skills with the ability to document technical information
- Attention to detail with an ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of data, while ensuring that information is accurate and comprehensive
- Ability to follow processes with high attention to detail
- Ability to employ a systematic and efficient approach to work
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use software programs
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Ability to collect and analyze data in an objective manner
- Multi-tasking skills to prioritize and consistently produce high-quality work within deadlines
- Ability to investigate defined issues, solicit input, and suggest remedies and alternative approaches that meet the needs of the situation
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
Western offers a broad and exciting variety of part-time and temporary employment opportunities with ample room for job exploration and growth. Within our beautiful campus, you are part of a progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance including access to our state-of-the-art recreation centre. Apply for an opportunity to be part of the Western community and contribute to its success!
Applying at Western
To ensure that your application is given full consideration, please complete all relevant sections of the application. In addition, you can choose to supplement your application with a cover letter and current resume.
Consideration of applicants will include an assessment of previous performance, experience, and qualifications. Applicants should have oral communication skills in English.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.