Sinopec Canada is a wholly-owned subsidiary of a major International upstream oil and gas company, Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation (SIPC) headquartered in Beijing, China. Sinopec Canada has been an active participant in the Canadian energy industry since 2005. Joining Sinopec Canada as a Geological Technologist means becoming an important part of our team dedicated to making successful contributions to a sustainable future.
Primary Purpose of Position
Reporting to the Supervisor, Geoscience, the Geological Technologist will provide technical support to Sinopec Canada geoscience staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Gather, select and share (import/export) large volumes of electronic data including:
- Well log LAS files
- Tops tables
- Analyze and interpret data e.g. quality control inspect LAS files and decide which data is reliable and which data should be discarded
- Analyze log headers to determine log types e.g. differentiate between induction log and laterolog
- Work with aliasing tables to differentiate various service companies log types
- Audit existing computer maps and judge which maps to keep and which maps to discard
- Use individual discretion and judgement to resolve data issues
- Build cross-sections and maps
- Support our Senior Petrophysicist by providing:
- Formation tops
- LAS files
- Support our part time Senior Geophysicist by managing:
- Seismic database
- Creation of Seisware projects
- Generate presentation montages
- Establish and maintain computer drives and folders for various teams
- Organize and consolidate geological prospect file rooms with the assistance of our Records Department, audit for data completeness and initiate requests for required information
- Provide expert GIS database mangement and be a ‘power user’ in Accumap, Geographix, Petra, Petrel, PowerPoint, Excel, Word
Position Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to import and export data and shape files to and from various geological software programs
- Strong computer mapping skills and knowledge of various maps
- Creative graphic design and drafting skills would be an asset eg. Corel Draw, etc.
- Ability to compile geological write ups, type logs and maps into montage layouts and PowerPoint presentations
- Demonstrate critical thinking and logical, efficient workflow decisions
- Strong capability in preparing physical and electronic data for A&D virtual datarooms (VDRs) and onsite hardcopy datarooms
- Able to digitize maps and provide other reserves calculation support
- High level of innovation, self motivation and a keen interest in taking on a large workload; always thinking of ways to create data solutions and improve processses
- Strong knowledge of oil and gas industry information, how it is used and by whom
- Able to handle multiple projects and teams as well as shifting priorities
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new skills
- Recognized for having a ‘can do’ attitude
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work well with others and within a diverse and multi-cultural environment
- High level of integrity in all actions, complying with and promoting the company’s core values, a respectful work environment, and aligning with the code of business conduct.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of relevant oil and gas industry experience
- Post secondary education in oil and gas support (e.g. SAIT certificate/diploma)
- Certification with ASET would be considered an asset
Come work with us!
If you are looking for meaningful new challenges and have a solutions-oriented attitude, we want to hear from you. Join Sinopec Canada for a workplace filled with diversity, rewarding work, and opportunities to develop new skills and grow your career.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter on the careers section of our website, www.sinopeccanada.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest.
Job Type: Full-time