Organization: Kids Help Phone
Title: Director, Business Intelligence & Analytics
Position: Full Time, Permanent
Reports to: AVP, Innovation & Data
Is this you?
Are you motivated by the opportunity to positively impact mental health for young people in Canada? Would you be passionate about helping young people deal with the challenges of growing up in today’s complex, ever-changing, technologically driven world.
Kids Help Phone is on a transformational journey, one that will change the landscape of youth mental health in Canada. We cannot do it without a team who are willing to be game changers and help fuel that journey. We need team members that are passionate about making a real difference in young people’s lives. It will take courage. It will take resilience.
Does this sound like you? If so, then keep reading…
Kids Help Phone has one of the most unique and valuable data sets in the world. Our data on youth mental health comes from a variety of service platforms and represents the experience of young Canadians seeking support and navigating our ecosystem of clinical and programmatic services and supports. We use this data to inform service design, optimize our service operations, to ensure we are reaching equity seeking groups in effective ways as we grow, and to inform the Canadian public (especially those in decision making positions) on the needs of young people.
Our small and mighty data team is made up of analysts and engineers who focus on aggregating, anonymizing, and analyzing our service data to support our internal operations through BI and analytics and external operations through storytelling and partnerships. We work closely with our Service Innovation team to provide meaningful insights to drive innovation across the organization.
We’re looking for a strong leader who can optimize our data operations and bring the organization to a new level through effective Business Intelligence and Analytics.
- A natural storyteller who is able to translate complex technical concepts into impactful narratives.
- An efficient analyst who can manage complex tasks and independently prioritize the workload for themselves and the team.
- A seasoned leader who can develop young talent and identify growth opportunities for the team.
What You'll do
- Create informative feedback loops to drive data-driven service operations across the organization
- Provide meaningful insights to KPI owners to help them exceed goals and forecasts they are accountable for
- Advance the team’s use of forecasting, predictive analytics, and machine learning
- Develop strategy and business case for working with external partners to amplify the impact of our data (applied research, secondments, collaborations, etc)
- Build efficiency into our data systems through automation and self-serve tools
- Contribute directly to the output of the team’s analysis and reporting across the org
- Audit and optimize our data collection methods for intended outcomes and audiences
- Identify data from teams outside the Service Department (HR, Advancement, etc) that can be brought into our data systems to optimize our operations across the org
- Ensure on-time delivery of reporting for our external-facing teams (fundraising, marketing, etc)
- Mentor our team of analysts and engineers and help them develop their technical and interpersonal skills
Infrastructure & Policy:
- Successfully roll out and migrate operations to data warehouse hosted in Azure (this work is in progress)
- Manage and optimize our data models in Power BI
- Support our Privacy Security & Risk team in development of policy and protocol (anonymization of data, PII scrubbing, aggregation, etc)
- Develop our existing policies around data storage, retention, and backup including the introduction of a process for audit logs
What You'll Need
Education and Knowledge
- 5+ years in a management role leading a data team
- 3-5 years in a role responsible for managing data security and privacy policies
- Experience working with - unstructured datasets, SPSS, Power BI, SQL, Python/ R Studio, Data Factory, Airflow, REST and SOAP API integrations
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure platforms including Azure Synapse, Analytics and Azure SQL
- Experience supporting org-wide operations through self-serve data products (dashboards, regular reporting, etc)
- Experience developing policies and protocols around data storage, backups, data glossaries, retention, disaster recovery, and audit logs.
- Experience working with health information– preferably youth mental health data.
- Experience developing data sharing agreements/partnerships.
- Experience working with researchers preferred.
- Possess an acceptable "Vulnerable Person Sector Criminal Reference Check" prior to starting employment.
Kids Help Phone is a Canadian and world leader, known for their expertise and continuous innovation as Canada’s only 24/7 professional counselling and information service for young people in both English and French. We have been pioneers in virtual care and e-health solutions for young people in Canada for over 32 years.
Since 1989, we have offered kids, teens and young adults a critical lifeline of hope and support through our free, anonymous and confidential services, which research shows significantly improves youth mental health.
Young people reach out to Kids Help Phone’s professional counsellors and trained volunteers from every corner of the country via phone, Live Chat and texting, and benefit from their database of local youth-serving programs. Kids Help Phone’s website is a widely recognized model of youth-focused design; offering therapeutic tools, games, information, and counselling.
Are you are inspired by helping to meet the quickly evolving needs of young people in Canada today and are ready to contribute to a dynamic organization dedicated to improving their mental health and well-being?
History in the making!
Does this sound like a journey you want to be a part of?
Open the posting and click the “Apply” button in the top right corner of the page. Please attach a single file with your resume and cover letter titled: \*lastname\_firstname\_ Director, Business Intelligence & Analytics\*
The posting closes on midnight \_\_\_\_\_\_\_, 2021
For more information about Kids Help Phone, please visit our website at http://kidshelpphone.ca
Accredited member, Imagine Canada Standards Program.
Kids Help Phone is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity of people and communities, and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization. We welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who respect and reflect the diversity of service users.
Kids Help Phone is committed to providing barrier-free environment and accommodation in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources person if your require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent