Instructional Designer – Elearning
SkillPlan is a nationally recognized leader in workforce development services. We have close to 30 years of experience providing workforce development services and resources to the construction and mining industries, as well as other sectors. In a collaborative team approach, the Instructional Design Assistant will design and develop online training materials to meet the unique needs of our clients. We are looking for an interim Instructional Designer to support our training and program design services for our clients across Canada. This role could develop as a permanent position.
We are looking for a dynamic and committed individual who is passionate about educational programming and career development.
The Instructional Design Assistant will work closely with the Director of Workforce Development. The incumbent will support designing and creating of online courses. The Instructional Design Assistant will use knowledge of emerging and promising practices and research in hybrid and online pedagogy and technology-enabled learning (TEL) to assist in the creation of accessible, engaging, and equitable learning opportunities for students.
- Implementing instructional design techniques used by subject matter experts and instructors to build online curriculums and courses.
- Meeting the assigned online projects in a strict timely matter.
- Evaluate on-ground instructional material for conversion to online.
- Design, development and implementation of online courses and programs using instructional design methodologies and instructional tools.
- Develop highly interactive and engaging blended learning for all learning modalities.
- Maintain the programs within the LMS and perform quality assurance.
- Apply compliance, policies and ministry standards to the new online programs.
- Coordinate content creation and program logistics with the subject matter experts.
- Produce quality eLearning course material: course design, course outlines, lesson plans, PowerPoint slides, videos, quizzes, diagrams, interactive exercises, and assessments.
- Consults with individual course instructors on the design, development and teaching of courses for hybrid and online delivery, drawing on approaches informed by the research, theory and practice as appropriate to the context of the Building Trades.
- Works one-on-one with staff to introduce them to a broad range of computer applications and instructional tools related to curriculum delivery and research or assist in solving problems that have been encountered.
- Supports course instructors in their use of learning technologies and software applications, including the Learning Management System, and video creation and editing tools.
- Provides guidance to course instructors in the effective use of audio, video, graphic, multimedia and online resources within courses to improve learning and engage diverse learning needs.
- Collaborates with SkillPlan staff to contribute to other aspects of SkillPlan’s programs and services.
- Through research, reading, and participation in professional associations, stays current with advancements and trends in teaching and learning in post-secondary education with special emphasis placed on Building Trade education.
- Help with other duties as required in support of the department.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree with preference in Education or Adult Education, Instructional Design, Human Performance Technology, Educational Technology or a related discipline
- Secondary Adult Basic Education and/or workplace training development and delivery experience
- Minimum of one year of experience in online curriculum development and instructional design experience
- Experience in post-secondary education and distance learning
- Experience using Learning Management Systems (Canvas, Moodle, D2L Brightspace,etc.)
- Knowledge of competency-based curriculum and assessment design approach
- Knowledge of access and usage of open educational practices, resources, and textbooks
- Hands-on experience in the areas of: instructional design; post-secondary instruction; business/industry training; educational technology applications; program and curriculum evaluation; instructor development activities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe
Education and Experience Assets
- Previous work experience with a variety of online LMS, course creators, plug-ins, etc.
- Strong knowledge base in adult learning theory, instructional design and technology
- Demonstrated needs assessment and needs analysis experience
- Online course development and/or delivery
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations
- Ability to successfully resolve issues from identification through resolution
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills including technical writing and applying editing standards and conventions
- Ability to maintain collaborative relationships with a diverse range of clients (unions, employers, contractors, and Indigenous groups)
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a high level of accountability
- Effective organizational and time management skills in meeting deadlines, prioritizing, and coping with interruptions
- Ability to perform research, problem solve, organize material, conduct analysis, and evaluate data
- Ability to use sound judgment in decision making; demonstrating consistent logic, rationality, objectivity, and creativity; analytical
- Ability to perform routine and complex work with a high degree of accuracy
- Committed to learning and professional development
- Ensure all products and services developed and delivered comply with SkillPlan best practices and quality standards
Hours and Days of Work:
- Fulltime, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Flexible work schedule
Job Type: Fulltime
SkillPlan offers competitive compensation and a great benefits package including a generous vacation allotment, flexible work schedule, RRSP contribution, and medical, dental, and extended health benefits, along with the opportunity to collaborate with an outstanding team.
If you are interested in joining our team, please email your cover letter detailing how your qualifications and experience align with the job requirements outlined and your resume by July 31, 2020.
We thank all applicants for their interest in SkillPlan, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Permanent
Salary: $65,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
- Dental Care
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Care
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- Instructional Design: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19