Automotive Group Controller
Straightline Motor Group (“SMG”) is seeking a full-time Group Controller to join our growing group of automotive dealerships across Alberta. The Group Controller will live and demonstrate our core values in all daily activities while demonstrating a great understating of accounting policies and procedures. As the Automotive Group Controller, you will be responsible for overseeing the accounting functions, financial reporting and finance teams for our group of operations across Alberta. This position is based in Calgary, Alberta and will require some travel to different dealership locations to work directly with the teams. The Group Controller is expected to possess exceptional leadership qualities, organizational, communication and multi-tasking skills.
The Group Controller reports to and takes direction from the Chief Financial Officer. The primary responsibilities of the Group Controller are;
- Planning, directing, and coordinating all operational accounting functions;
- Oversee the team of dealership controllers, provide full support, training, guidance, and oversight;
- Responsible for the overall accuracy and reconciliation of accounting data;
- Provide financial support, analysis, and interpretation to dealership management teams;
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results;
- Providing executive team and directors with monthly reporting;
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements;
- Coordinating activities of external auditors
- Coordination and execution of regulatory filings with external advisors
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process;
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement, and implementing new processes;
- Technical management of our Dealer Management Systems;
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed;
- Assistance on due diligence activities, special projects, acquisitions;
- Embraces new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, and enthusiasm
- Gains the trust and confidence of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when dealing with difficult situations
- Cultivates innovation and creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Provides direction, delegates and removes obstacles to get work done with a focus on continuous improvement
- Mentors and coaches staff; interprets performance and provides feedback
- Develops people to meet both their career goals and organizational goals
- Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Measures financial controls to identify and monitor standards and performance, and to communicate results, advice, and options
- Reports on Financial information and results based on needs and accepted accounting principles
- Works with executive/management team to determine annual forecasts
- Interprets financial results and accounting information to executive/management team
- Monitoring of covenants with external stakeholders
- Responds to regulatory filings and remittances
- Business undergraduate degree;
- Professional accounting designation;
- A minimum of 3 years public accounting experience;
- Automotive Dealership Industry would be considered an asset.
The Controller will demonstrate some or all of the following DNA characteristics:
- Initiative: a solutions provider, someone whom is motivated, resourceful, creative and displays ingenuity.
- Problem Solver: people that are wanting to solve problems themselves and will make decisions within their scope, and trust their own judgment staying within the core values of our organization.
- Innovative: someone who is original and creative in thinking, displays ingenuity, is visionary and provides additional value to the client and the company.
- Positive Attitude: someone who is friendly, enthusiastic, forward thinking, motivated and engaged.
- Flexibility: being able to adapt to change and increase effectiveness and efficiency in and out of work.
- Communication: someone that can listen and communicate what they are thinking, present clear expectations and present themselves professionally to co-workers and clients.
- Trust: someone that extends trust and in return is trusted by key stakeholders.
- Accountability: someone that accepts responsibility for their own decisions and meets expectations.
- Delegation: surrounds themselves with great people, training and coaching them and trusting them to make the right decisions.
- Relationship Builder: someone who builds relationship based on trust, mutual respect, diversity, active listening and open communication.
- Confident: believes in their abilities, are positive, foster teamwork and have strong interpersonal and active listening skills.
- Coach: desire to educate and develop people with the tools, knowledge, and opportunities needed to be effective in their commitment to themselves, the company, and their work.
- Influential: works to remove the obstacles that prevent people from performing effectively, and therefore open the door to creating a trusting and rewarding environment where people are willing to go that extra mile.
Compensation & Benefits
- Vehicle Allowance
- Competitive salary
- Endless opportunity for career growth in a Growth focused motor group.
- “Shifting The Experience” Culture and work environment
- Corporate Gym Membership Rates
- Health Spending Account
- Industry leading Benefits and Holidays
- Employee discounts on vehicle service, repairs, and parts.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Work from home
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Calgary, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Accounting: 3 years (preferred)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (preferred)
Willingness to travel: