Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity with an expected end date of February 11, 2022 to cover a leave of absence. Secondments are welcome.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department provides a diverse and dynamic environment for undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty. For undergraduates and graduate students alike, the Department of Geography and Environment at Western University offers a wide array of educational opportunities.
The Administrative Officer is a key member of the administrative team in Geography and Environment. As team leader, the Administrative Officer guides the staff within the Department to achieve their expected outcomes. This role coordinates many of the Chair's Administrative responsibilities and ensures compliance with UWOSA, UWOFA, SOGS and Western policies and procedures, inclusive of the PMA agreement. The role manages all departmental finances relating to both administration and research, both domestic and international. The role requires considerable diplomacy and knowledge of human resource management principles, including Human Rights/Equity legislation.
- 4-year Undergraduate University Degree, preferably in a Social Science discipline
- Completion (or enrolment in) a recognized financial or professional program (i.e. CHRP, CIM) would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5 years of progressively more responsible administrative experience, preferably in an academic setting
- Previous budgeting and human resources experience
- Experience functioning within a union environment is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Ability to analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of detail/data
- Demonstrated analytical ability with a working knowledge of accounting principles
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft modules
- Advanced computer skills Microsoft office (Excel/Word)
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Access
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with associates and colleagues including senior management
- Strong record of teamwork with the motivation and ability to work independently with little supervision
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.