Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
OPNZ PERI Medical Device Reprocess ARH
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The MDR Technician performs cleaning and sterilizing duties to meet the needs of the departmental customer; follow policies and procedures of the service and rotate throughout decontamination area, processing area and distribution area. Included in this area will be the make-up and distribution of case carts and other sterile item to both internal and external partners / clients within the health authority. Additional duties maybe assigned by the manager as deemed necessary. These positions include evening, nights and weekend shifts.
- High school graduation or equivalent required
- Successful completion of a recognized medical device reprocessing education program required
- Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician preferred
- Medical device reprocessing experience preferred
- Experience with instrumentation, medical knowledge and terminology, infection control and sterile processing practices, case cart make up, knowledge of pick lists will be required
- Knowledge of basic infection control and personal safety measures is required
- Ability to stand for long periods, lift trays and other articles of approximately 25lbs in weight, and the ability to move a rolling weight in excess of 50 lbs required
- Ability to set priorities and organize workload required
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, organizational skills as well as the ability to work independently as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with customers and staff required
- Ability to hold in confidence all matters pertaining to MDRD, patients and staff is required
- Previous work attendance will be considered
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for this position
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
- Where there are no applicants who have completed the Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Program, consideration for a Medical Device Reprocessing in Training position may be given to applicants who are enrolled in an approved Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Program and are willing to successfully complete this program at their own expense within 12 months of employment. Candidates must be enrolled in a recognized medical device reprocessing education program at the time of hire.
Hours of Work
Permanent, Full-Time Position; 75 hours biweekly
7.5 hour shifts including evening, weekend and holidays
Rotating on-call schedule that provides coverage outside of regular work hours
$20.4283 – $23.1417 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Support bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.